• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Central OH Mates?

There was a bunch out on alum creek when I lived there. I never met anyone who was on the site though.

It's a shame I did not bring my boat. My daughter lives in Columbus and I came out yesterday. I thought about it but it is a little tight in the driveway at her house. I was at up at Alum two weeks ago Sunday to observe the chaos from the Marina and I am looking foward to seeing it from the water, anyway, my son and I will make contact and hook up with you. also you might want to consider 2-1/2 hour trip to the Ohio River at Wheeling and have 39 miles of river to run in!

Chuck

It's a shame I did not bring my boat. My daughter lives in Columbus and I came out yesterday. I thought about it but it is a little tight in the driveway at her house. I was at up at Alum two weeks ago Sunday to observe the chaos from the Marina and I am looking foward to seeing it from the water, anyway, my son and I will make contact and hook up with you. also you might want to consider 2-1/2 hour trip to the Ohio River at Wheeling and have 39 miles of river to run in!

Chuck

I did a few river runs with the guys on Greenhulk.net when I owned my jetski it was the best riding I had ever done on the ski. It was hard not to run WOT all day :banana:

How is alum? I've heard of it but never been there. Is it big with room to run? Anything there like marinas with restaurants? It's a little over 2 hours from me so not to far to go for a day.

not that big. Couple of miles long. Smaller than Caesars creek but big enough to run wide open for a little bit. One marina with small place to get food. nothing special but its deep and you dont have to worry about hitting anything. Avg depth of over 30'. Big swim cove that usually has around 50-100 boats tied up in it when it's warm. And it's 20 minutes from my house. :D

I've not been on Caesars Creek yet (15 mins from the new house)but boated on Alum since before it was a lake. We tested 3 point hydros's on it back in the '70's and used the old farm roads for ramps.
Am told it's larger than Caesars. Alum is basically 6 miles long (no wake) w/a bridge across the middle of it.
Has three class A ramps in the main body. If you over night on your boat, there is a another bridge on the north end and beyond it is no wake and goes on for several more miles.
Many deep covers for spending the night and the boaters cove north of the beach on the west side attracts many boat campers also.
Also a class A camp ground w/a few water front sites but good luck getting one.
It used to have a reputation for the local federalies being dicks.
I've been stopped while pulling a skier so they could search by boat for alcohol! None was found.
They used to put plain clothes cops on jet ski's and send them into the coves and woods w/binoculars and radios!
I've gotten a ticket for speeding in a no wake zone even though it was after season and there were no markers. I was within 200' of shore.
I got threatened w/a ticket one time while tied at the marina while having breakfast because I had trimmed the ugly background from the Ohio Registration sticker on my boat. The cop had a new, hotty partner with him.
He needed decked :pissed:

They used to have an end of season shoot out there but haven't been to it for yrs. Last time I was, 15 yrs ago, the top dogs were close to 130.

In all, a very nice lake but what I call sterile. State owned, nothing on the shore line but the state controlled marina and beach and no alcohol.

I was on it a few months back on a Sunday ad it was nuts! I watched a guy back in what looked like a 40' Cigarette!! (probably 10 boats in line at that ramp)
I always want to throw those guys a $100. and tell them Lake Erie is 100 miles north. Ever crossed one of their wakes in a boat designed for a 6 mile lake?
But I guess it's easy to be big dick on a little pond.

BTW, I have a Starliner stored 30 mins east of Cols (Buckeye Lake) that I'm bringing down to our new place this week which is a 1/2 N. of Cinci.

Alum Creek is great fo overnighting or just a day trip, never a dull moment rafted up in the large swim area..aslong as Diesel30 plays some 2 chainz for me !

I say why not welcome the large boats? We had multiple 30ft+ boats out yesterday including two 38s.

Back