• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Checkmate Vision information wanted

Douser

I have a checkmate vision 221. The boat has an Alpha SS outdrive with just under 500 hp in front of it. I have to baby her out of the hole but once she planes out she has seen 81 on GPS. I was told that I would have to jack the motor 4 inches to make enough clearance for a Bravo. It seems to me that lifting the motor higher will give me less clearance. Also what mods would have to be done to the transom. Alphas and Bravos don't come close to matching up. Do They? Also I was told that the boat has a 21 degree dead rise but I have only seen reference to 19 and 20. Can anyone tell me for sure. Any and all info you can give me on this boat when stock will be appreciated. Also where can I get an original owners Manual?
bounce.gif

I have a checkmate vision 221. The boat has an Alpha SS outdrive with just under 500 hp in front of it. I have to baby her out of the hole but once she planes out she has seen 81 on GPS. I was told that I would have to jack the motor 4 inches to make enough clearance for a Bravo. It seems to me that lifting the motor higher will give me less clearance. Also what mods would have to be done to the transom. Alphas and Bravos don't come close to matching up. Do They? Also I was told that the boat has a 21 degree dead rise but I have only seen reference to 19 and 20. Can anyone tell me for sure. Any and all info you can give me on this boat when stock will be appreciated. Also where can I get an original owners Manual?
bounce.gif

Your Vision 221 has 20 degree Deadrise,weighs 2950lbs w/260 V-8,90" Beam,Max H.P.350 h.p.(ha,ha).Impressive speed ,Is that a big or small block? What are you running for a prop? I have an s/s drive myself.
thumb.gif
Call Mike at Checkmate,they might have a Manual.They still carry a lot of the decals for that boat.

The motor is a small block that is built to the hilt
icon_eek.gif
The prop I use now is a 24 pitch spinelli. You said call Mike for a manual. Do you have a number or the name of the dealership? How has you Alpha been behind your Big Block? Have you had any problems with your intake clogging easily? I also would like info from anyone on putting mufflers on this because it is a 500 dollar fine in NY if you are over 90db. I am well over that
sssh.gif
Thanks for all of your help.

You will loose hp by putting on mufflers and you will become way too quiet, best and most reasonable way to go is silencer tips.

Sorry, i forgot, the noise laws are so vague, they are very, very easy to fight. Arguements can be wind direction, accuracy of db meter, when was the db meter calibrated (probably never) Actually too many to go on now.

Sorry, i forgot, the noise laws are so vague, they are very, very easy to fight. Arguements can be wind direction, accuracy of db meter, when was the db meter calibrated (probably never) Actually too many to go on now.

I ahve never heard of silencer tips. They sound very interesting ( no pun intended )
icon_wink.gif
Do you know where I can find them?

Contact Rick at Bayview Marine, his e-mail address is broker@tds.net They are really into high perf stuff and can come up with some pretty good prices. If Rick can't help, try Teague custom marine out of California, Eddie Marine, Rex MArine, ect, or lastly Mike at Checkmate again. he might be able to sell you a pair, they are an option on the stern drive boats. I almost went with them, but I wanted to be able to shut the exhaust off when I pull into Marinas, so I went with the Silent choice whicj=h is about 1500 bucks or so for you to convert, the silencers are much less and bolt right on to the tips off of the back of the boat. They started becoming more wide spread in the early 90's.

Douser,My drive has been alright so far.I have a friend with a similiar set up as yours with a s/s alpha.He's gone thru a few engines,but the drive keeps going strong.A bravo drive would be nice but its a lot of $$$$$
icon_eek.gif
The last phone # I had for the Checkmate Factory was 419-562-3881. I'm sure you'll loose some h.p.
icon_frown.gif
but I've seen and heard 4" tips w/built in mufflers by GIL.They sound nice and I see them used on Ebay all the time for about $100.-150 pr.I haven't had my water intake clog but I could see that being a concern.You need to bring that thing over to Albany and take a blast down the Hudson!
icon_biggrin.gif

Trust me, you do not want to put mufflers on. Almost everyone I know who put them on, took them off and put on silencers. Silencers take the db's just into the legal range without a loss of hp. Also, Livorsi Marine (gaffrig)makes them.

Douser,
As far as silencers go i would go with drew marine shotguns.I have heard that you have to be carefull not to restrict exshaust flow on biult small blocks.They should make it legal at idle ,but not sure about on plane.
Dave

Back