• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Clear Coat vs Gel COat

flo

Can someone tell me the diffrence between Gel Coat and Clear Coat, as far as boats go.

Thanks

Can someone tell me the diffrence between Gel Coat and Clear Coat, as far as boats go.

Thanks

To be simple, gel has the pigment, clear does not and generally is resin and generally only used on boats with metal flake.

2003 ZT 240 6.2litre/Bravo 320 H.P. 25P Mirage Plus

Also, clear coat is used on a lot of newer 'off brand' boats and lots of so-called performance boats to hide stripe lines. Checkmate puts all stripes in gell, the other brands make most hulls all white and then paint on the stripes after, and then clear coat a large area above and below the stripes to make them 'feel' like they are in the gell. Sunsation is one of those brands, Baja is another where I've seen paint stripes instead of gell stripes

1995 Pulsare 2100BR/1995 Mercury Promax 225 2.5 EFI/ 1.87:1 Torquemaster/ RapidJack Heavy-Duty manual 10.5" setback/ 23" Tempest worked for ski duty

Thanks guys for the help.

I have 1997 Convinsor 220 454hp, I love the boat!!

Do you guys know what it cost to clear a boat on the average?

Talk to you soon!!

It really depends on where you live for the hourly rate. For a boat you size, I would charge roughly 5000.00 to re-clear the whole boat. To me, there is only on way to do it, and that is disassemble the whole boat and not mask around everything. I would recommend calling Mike Combs up at Checkmate, they can re-do it, and nothing like have the poeple who built the boat do it.

Thanks guys for the info.

Do you guys think that 97 should be cracking this early? The cracks are on the back of the boat, where the engine is.

Now it sounds like you are talking about stress cracks. Is that the case? I see new boats with stress cracks, it is all how it is taken care of or beaten or how it was built. Impossible for us to say without seeing where they are exactly.

Bill, to be quite honest I'm not sure!!!

I have owned the boat for three years now, I hand wash the boat myself and never really noticed the cracks till this year washing it. I have never hit or ran over anything.

I don't know what he did with it though.

Is there a way to tell if its stress cracks or if the clear coat is cracking?

Flo, Stess cracks are simply the cracking of the gel or clear. It can be caused by flexing or stress in particular areas or somthing as simple as a screw being tightened too tight. Most of the time it is cosmetic but can in some cases lead to water seeping into the fiberglass. If you are not sure, to start, I would run it by a reputable marine center in your area and have them take a look. For the most part, they are pretty easy to fix, though the cause should be found to try to eliminate it from happening again. I hope I helped a bit.

Thanks guys for all the help!!!

If any of you boat up to Charleviox I will see you there. Its going to be a great year to be a checkmate boat owner.

Lets have fun and be safe on the waters.

Flo

Back