• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

DONCONVINCOR's Mate

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few pics of DONCONVINCOR's Mate.
icon_smile.gif

Don.jpg

Do you run a electric fuel pump or a mech.? I'm thinking about changing mine to elec. Pretty sure the stock mech. is not pumping enough gas. And what kind of exhaust are you running?

The boat is a '77... I had never seen another MATE like mine untill I saw the one the was wrecked posted in "PICTURE THIS" 'THIS IS BAD'

The Truck is a 97 with 170k miles..
My YARD HORSE is about 20years old and yes it has a ball to tow the boat around

A few commnets on the motor.. I estimate about 425hp @5500 and about 500lb torque around 3200
Its enough that it distroyed the stock outdrive.. It now has a custom built ALPHA

It's a small block 400 .060 over 4 bolt, Custom ported intake, heads and exhaust (all made to match) The heads are 194's 9:1 compression. The exhaust was custom made by a company in California back in '86
(I don't remember by who) When I built the current motor in '93 the exhaust was flowed and it had it altered. The cam was selected for low end torque. The valve train has hydraulic lifters and roller rockers. The Carb is a 780 fed by an electric pump.

Merc Racing Division has beefed up gears and shafts (as far as what I was told). The upper and lower ratios are different than stock. One thing for sure, it has not broken since it was rebuilt. When I first built the motor I had the original drive rebuilt throughout. When I took it back with broken upper gears complaining he did something wrong he fixed it for free. The 2nd time I took it back with the gears litterly blown out the side of the lower case he asked what kind of motor I had. That time he gave me a used case,he did the labor for free and I had to buy the shafts and gears.

nice idea with pulling the checkmate with the lawn mower i tried it a few times works good as long as the lawn mower can take it....

The tractor works real good to move the boat into the back yard or back and forth to the street as long as I don't try to move to fast. The front wheels tend to want to come up if I let out the clutch to fast

Back