• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

HP Rating - Panther V-Mate ll

boomboom

First posting for me!
I was looking at purchasing [what I believe is an 1983+/-, 18'?, Panther V-Mate II with a 1983 200HP Merc Black Max outboard.
I did not see a DOT Max. HP rating label or boat hull serial number on the outside transom area of the boat.
My question is what was / is the Canadian HP rating on these and where should those DOT & serial no.s be located?

serial number should be on the upper right hand corner of the transom. i believe they were rated for 150hp, although there are lots of them with 200's out there. this boat wouldn't be south of gravenhurst would it?

I have friend here in Muskoka with one and I believe it's rated for 200 H.P. I'll have to check next time I see him. That thing should be one fast boat with the 200 on it, set up right. My friend's boat has a stock 150 on it with the stock prop, no jack plate or anything else fancy and it goes around 62- a little crazy at that speed (solid motor mounts would help). Set that sucker up right and I'll bet 80 is within reach- but practise , practise and good luck. :bounce:

Last edited:
i stopped to look at that boat in the spring - is he still asking 6500 for it, thought it was a little rich for the boat - it's not in bad shape and it said on the sign that the motor had been rebuilt - but who knows.

This particular Panther V-Mate II boat - the same one obviously, is now $5000 obo... but he wouldn' let it go for $4000 when I tried! I have the name of the mechanic who supposedly rebuild the Merc 200 - I know of him so I was going to call him and ask about the rebuild.

A V-Mate II was only rated for 150, but mine had a 200 on it for 25 years. No stress cracks or anything at all. The previous owner said it only ran 70ish, but that was a 70's Evinrude 200 with no jackplate or anything. A newer 200 (propshaft rated) would be quite a bit more umph.....

this boat has an old 200 on it so it's more like 150 160hp. liked the boat, looked to be in not to bad a shape, saw it again yesterday as i was heading down to toronto. 4k, seems like a pretty fair offer to me, although i know the rebuild would cost that much if it was thorough.

I checked my friend's boat a while ago when we were putting it away and could not find the rating plate on it . It must have fallen off years ago. Sorry. I think he's going to sell it as it needs a new floor, maybe more.

Back