• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Impeller time(maybe)?

PA-Checkmate

Impeller time(maybe)? 2002 270Convincor 496 freshwater closed system with under 50hrs on impeller. Former owner replace early 2018. That said... how many hours do most replace at? And what needs to be done to get at it?

every year or two, depending on hours. If it just sits, the impeller gets a set and won't flex very well. Is this something you can do yourself??? And you are talking about the one in the lower unit, right??

For the price, I change mine every spring. It's cheap insurance that will keep you from having a weekend ruined. I replaced the plastic housing every other year until I broke down and got a stainless housing from Hardin Marine.

I would change the impeller every other season on the Alpha 1 out drive, although I did notice the impeller was still good at that interval so was going to go to 3 seasons but sold the boat.

Currently have a 2003 200hp merc on my 186 Pulse and the guy who built the motor said the impeller has a shorter vane and felt they didn't last as long as the impeller with the longer vane, His recommendation was to change it every other season and to keep an eye on the water pressure gauge.

Ultimately though if you do the work yourself it is not a lot of time and money for the piece of mind so for now I will go back to every other season.

Back