• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Interior work

Overspray

I picked up my Persuader last week (first boat), and it has a few cosmetic issues. I'm good with tackling the boats finish and can handle that, but I have no idea where to turn for the interior. I know everything boat related is expensive, and you have to pay to play... But I got a quote on having my sunpad redone and it wasn't what I was expecting. Does anyone know of a good local shop in south eastern MI, or even Ohio close by Lake Erie? Here's a couple of pics for those who are knowledgeable on pricing. What do you think it would cost to have the pad redone factory?

11628ED8-1200-4357-AC08-CC735E75A81C_zpsofz9f0nu.jpg

0BCA85DA-488D-43D8-8D4F-0CD980150602_zpsx6kukfqd.jpg

Factory has all of the original patterns and will end up being far cheaper for the skins than any local custom job. Just call them up and give your hull ID number, they have all the records and will get you an exact match.

I Was also going to say that Chekmate really helped me alot when I wanted to redo my interior. I had a custom design that his team did for my engine hatch cover. Then I purchased the rear bench seat cover from them and had a local shop in Chicago recover the bench. If you need pricing send me a message and I will look through my old invoices.

Joe

The first local guy I contacted said he wanted 1500 to replace the vinyl and foam, which is when I made this thread. It seemed pretty steep to me. I contacted checkmate from your recommendations and the pricing is reasonable, the only issues are freight, and that they won't match my factory pad design. It would look like this C934B269-4D5B-40F7-836E-CE756CA7BB15_zpsrfphiigy.jpg

Which I'm okay with, but I'm still looking local to see if I can have it redone as is for a decent price.

The newer design is much easier to accomplish. $1500 is on the high end to restore the original. The foam is probably salvageable if you add a bit of dacron on the top. You could buy a new cover from the factory and install it yourself. Again, the newer design will be easier than the older one. If you take this approach try to use stainless staples. The cover will be cheap to ship. If you feel brave PM me and I'll walk you through it when the time comes. Mark

Hack, I have not yet. If they are reputable I will contact them. Right now I'm waiting on a couple of people to get back to me.

Redstrat thanks for the advice. I don't mind doing it myself if necessary, but CM said they'd estimate 500 for that cover, plus freight (plus additional a if necessary). I'll see what the other local shops say, maybe I'll just get the CM cover and do it myself.

Hack, I have not yet. If they are reputable I will contact them. Right now I'm waiting on a couple of people to get back to me.
No personal experience with them, but all the reviews I read were highly positive. I'm probably going to contact them about a cover for my utility trailer this fall:

20150917_165426_zpsfx2ic7lb.jpg

I bought my 219 Persuader last fall. This will be it's first season on the lake(s). The one you bought, my son had called on, and we were going to look at. But then I found the '95 at a dealer in Saginaw (I also bought a new Xcursion pontoon from him). They had put a lot of work into the boat: Interior, floors, dual batteries. Even restored the C-Hawk trailer with 5 new tire/wheels, paint, bunks, etc. Mine has got the 454 (7.4L), instead of the 502 (8.2L). It ran 62-64 (phone gps) during the sea trial on the Saginaw River, with a 23 pitch 3 blade. I think there's a few more mph left in it with some 'fiddling' on props and trim settings.

20151027_150254_zpsw9g2lmql.jpg

When I contacted Checkmate for some info (I spoke to Kip - he was very helpful), the one thing he told me was to be careful of the windshield. They are no longer available.

Is this your first boat? As in never owned a boat before? Take a boating course if you haven't already. Coast Guard Auxiliary has a good one. It's been a while since my last course, and I really need to take a refresher. Do you plan on taking it out on 'big water'? IE: Great Lakes? Having had a 22' boat racked on Lake Erie for a number years, it was a bit on the small size. Good for inland lakes and river running though.

Mine is at it's new home on Portage Lake:

20160514_185404_zps6tn25e9z.jpg

Enjoy your's!

Hack, I appreciate the kind words. I knew the PO well and have driven this boat on St. Clair a handful of times over the years. I do not prefer the larger lakes with her, it gets pretty sketchy really quick running across. I will use this boat mainly for inland lakes, and the occasional short run in st Clair.

As for my first boat, yes it is. I have taken the boaters course before, but could also use a refresher sometime soon.

The PO used this boat mainly to cross st Clair from Selfridge Air Base to Muscamoot bay for the party. It has taken a bit of abuse from being used on the larger lakes that much, but nothing that stood out to me as alarming. There's a few stress cracks in the outer gel that I will repair, but besides that she's fine. I ended up getting the friends/early season/needs cleaning before sale price and I didn't mind paying it since I know the boat and the maintenance that went into it.

I also spoke with kip and he got me plenty of great information on the interior as well as build. 502 was special order and he says they probably had to sign a liability waiver to get it. I wish I had a copy of that waiver!

Back