• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

need help on wirin g for new gauges

michael01r1

hello, iam new to this site and i have a 87 convincer iam restoring and need some help on rewiring new auto meter marine guages. i dont know what wires are what. if anyone can help me with a labeled diagram i would be greatful thanks. mike

Hey Mike I have a 87 also what you can do use a ohm meter at the gauge one lead and go to the sender with the other lead with extended piece of wire and if the meter shows 2 to 3 ohms you would know you have the right wire from front to back. The rest on the gauge one for power for running light and one for ground. Auto meter has a install sheet for wiring their gauges. But one thing sender must match the gauge like if fuel sender is 73 ohms for empty and at full 104 ohms the gauge should show full at 104 ohms. You can pull your sender out of fuel tank and take a ohms reading float arm down empty and raise float arm up meter on ohms Poss lead on sender post and the other on sender metal and get your readings and let auto meter no. The temp sender works the same way but reads hot and cold for its resistance numbers Hopes this helps let me know if I can help more.

Boats are more liberally wired than cars, frequently there isn't an easy to use diagram available, you have to go by ABYC colors. For instance pink is usually the fuel sender, black will be ground, tan will be the water temp sender. Best thing to do is label the wires as you pull them from the old gauges.

Here's a linky with the color codes: https://www.cpperformance.com/t-boat_wiring_colors.aspx

Back