• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Quick question...Marine or automotive Baterries

Also there is no difference between a standard marine battery and an automotive battery except for a handle and marine terminals.

I ended up gettin a good Interstate car battery, it has 850 cranking amps which is plenty. It turns the engine over very well and, not that i had a problem with starting in the first place, i think it starts quicker and easier now. My old battery was a cheapo wal-mart jobber, but i did get about 4 seasons out of it, but having the cottage this year i think i've put more hours on the boat this season than it's had in the last 4 total.

Manufacturers can say what they want but when you cut them open they are the same. Some might use a heavier casing but that's it there no antivibration crap it's just a plain ole lead cell battery. Lots of companies hype up their marine battery cuz once you write marine on the side of it the price goes up. If you want to screw system a bit buy a cheapo walmart battery and take it back every year for a free exchange.

Manufacturers can say what they want but when you cut them open they are the same. Some might use a heavier casing but that's it there no antivibration crap it's just a plain ole lead cell battery. Lots of companies hype up their marine battery cuz once you write marine on the side of it the price goes up. If you want to screw system a bit buy a cheapo walmart battery and take it back every year for a free exchange.

I do that with my Interstates. We are a dealer for them and at the first sign of trouble, they get returned. Their warranty is about the best in the business, so in some cases, i can get a healthy refund around 36 months.

The nautical environment is very hard on batteries, as was already established. I've been left stranded too often, therefore I'll only use a reliable 1000 amp marine battery in my boats from now on. For a lot less money than its name-brand sibling, Napa offers a rather fine one manufactured by East Penn.

Strangely enough, marine batteries in my area are cheaper than car batteries of the same size, by like $50.

Back