• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Rain water through hull intake vents.

PA-Checkmate

When it rains, even small amounts rain it comes through the air intake vents and accumulated in side off hull. I presume it's a poor choice of vent used alone with hull angle. Had about 2 inches of water on both sides marked in red in photo, and other photo shows inside of vent design. I have flaps made but not sure how well they will work. That said, anyone else been down this road? BTW, it's a 2002 Convincor 270 and vents look common on other models. I also have a full cover but will be times I will be docking in marina for several days

thanks

Attachments

• Water-2.jpg
    Water-2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Water-1.jpg
    Water-1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 34
Had the same issue on my 253. Nature of the beast. Maybe you could make a canvas/pvc flap that just velcro's to the hand rail above the vents? Or maybe try some of that Glade Press & Seal wrap that sticks to everything. Just apply it over the vents if rain is coming then peel off and throw in trash next day?

A cover can be made for this aggravation. You can make it out of plastic sheet that is 1/4 inch thick, with a small handle in the middle to facilitate installation and removal. Buddy down at the plastics place made mine. They are the same size length and width as the offending vent, they have a handle that is in the middle and looks like a flattish door handle maybe an inch in diameter, and he applied a bead of some type of rubber product to the outside edge of the back of the cover so that it looks like a kind of o-ring. Also on the back are two split pin looking things also made of pretty flexible plastic that go over the vent fins and hold the whole cover on. Made em out of white and the gasket/o-ring part is black. The split pin part kind of looks like the same part used by those little air fresheners that go in automobile air vents on the dash. At this stage of the game, and concerning whose vessel they adorn, they now have a 'Remove Before Flight' bright red streamer on them with a floatation block of smooth rubber foam, like from the boat key chain, attached to the streamer. You might imagine how this might have come about. (Murphy is often Davy Jones accomplice)

Back