• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Start Of My Day

Jimway

You know, it started off like any other day. Although it was beautifly clear, a little cool, and early. As I sit here with adult beverage, winding down the day, three sutures above the right eye, awesome purple fist mark across face, and a puffed up cheek complete with gash inside mouth at gum line. I figure you guys might like to hear about this one. So I roll into the local filling station to top up the truck. It's the local station where you kinda know everybody. I've got my son with me, we're on our way to a job. Busy times. This young guy walks across the lot there in front of us as we are pulling up to the pumps. Pretty good sized kid. Guy has on one of those somewhat white safari type hats, light colored overcoat, t shirt, tan safari type pants, you know the ones with the extra pockets on the front, different colored socks, and slip on type boat sneakers. It looks to me like he is in deep discussion with himself. "Hhmm" I say out loud. I shoot a quick glance at my boy, he raises his eyes to the ceiling. I nod my head in approval. I park the truck at my usual pump. I get out. CH (crack head), is walking up to this white little Toyota pickup. He kicks the drivers door a couple of times, then gets in side and slams the door. I saunter in to the store. I get to the end of the line. Right in front of me is a fella that I see there every once in a while. He is often on his Harley, a nice clean mid 90's Heritage. He's seen me there on my ancient old sled once or twice. In front of him is the local soccer mom who is holding on to her kids dearly. They look scared. In front of soccer mom is the morning attendant to the gas station. She is crying and on the phone with the local 911 response. Biker guy, who by the way, has on this big open carry knife on his right hip, turns to me and says "You missed all of the excitement". "Apparently" I sum up. "Let me guess" I say to him, "Does it have anything to do with the guy in the little white Toyota?" "Um hmm" says biker guy. "What a shame" I reply,"Beautiful morning, gonna be a nice day too ... oh look, he's beating the ell out of the inside of his truck" as I point out toward CH. Biker guy tells me that he is gonna stay close until the po po shows up in light of the fact that CH pushed the female attendants around a little bit. I frown now and look out upon CH with jaundiced eye.

:pissed:Why do you do this to me, I'll be looking on the computer all day waiting for the next episode??????

I step up to the register and ask the attendant if she is OK. She is busy describing CH's behavior that morning to whomever is on the other end of the line. Apparently, CH's truck will not start because it is in need of a jump. Strangely, no one has been inclined to help CH, probably due to his demeanor, behavior, and appearance, but that is only my speculation. CH looks like he is in a 'hockey fight' with the passenger side of the dash board of his poor little truck. She says to me that she is all right and that the authorities are on the way. So I walk back out to my pump after the pre pay thing and start pumping fuel into the old Ranger pickup (Ranger Dave homage). CH now charges out of the passenger side of his poor little truck, crawls over it to the drivers side and proceeds to open the drivers door, with great force, against the car that is parked next to it. The morning attendant happens to own this particular automobile and yells out of the open door for CH to quit banging up her car. CH heads for the front doors of the store. "Throw me my gloves" I ask my boy. The attendant tells CH to stay out of the store and shuts the doors and tries to hold them shut while CH grabs them. A tug of war ensues. CH gets the right hand door open a couple of feet, with the attendant lady on the other side. He then proceeds to step back and make a run for the door. He hits the door with such force that the attendant goes flying backwards into the store, knocking down some displays and such. "AA yyy!!" I yell out at CH. He is oblivious to my warnings of the probable outcomes of his present behavior. I put on my gloves as I hurry toward the front of the store. The second attendant lady steps up and gets right in CH's face. telling him to remove himself from the premises. He shoves her back into the store, sending her arse over teakettle, to coin a phrase. My jaw is now set in a grim frown and biceps are knotted up like grapefruit. Big Jim is stepping up to the the plate. 'Click' 'click' goes my right arm. 'Boom' has been known to follow the click click part. Biker guy steps right in front of me and grabs CH and spins him around, and tells him to dry up and blow away, so to speak. With nearly superhuman strength, CH shoves Biker guy back a long ways. Biker guy somehow does not loose his balance. I put on the brakes in a two wheel lockup so to speak when I see Biker guy reach for that knife on his right hip. I grind to a halt and take a giant step back, fully expecting biker guy to burn down CH. Biker guy lifts that big knife up about an inch or so. It is one of those special forces commando type knifes in a black leather scabbard. Biker guy kind of shoots a quick look around and gently lowers the knife back down. Biker guys gaze meets mine and for an instant there I recognize how lucky Crack Head really is to have not just been carved up like an Easter turkey. CH looks at me with a wild eyed look. He is sweating profusely. His pupils are ginournous. "You want some too old man?" says CH. "Well, yes, I think that time is now upon us" I say to CH. Out of my peripheral vision, I see several jaws of the onlookers open slack. CH indicates that he is about to place his foot against my posterior, in a manner of speaking. "That's not a good idea" I warn CH.

I think we may need to start filling in or complete these stories ourselves.

This is like a mid season finale......I sure do hope our hero gets the better of CH and avoids a trip to the local ER.

"You seem extremely upset" I ask CH. He looks terrified for a moment. "My Dad wont help me, my Mom wont help me, my girlfriend wont help me" .. "You don't suppose the way you're acting has anything to do with this do you?" I interrupt. "You need to calm down" I add. Anger flashes across his face. "I just need some help" He says through gritted teeth. "You really need to calm down" I say. "Are you on some kind of drug?" I ask, suspecting the obvious. "No, I'm drunk" growls CH. "Oh" I say. "Just calm down". "What is it that you need?" I ask. "A jump" CH yells at me at the top of his voice also sprinkled with some inappropriate descriptive words. "My truck wont start" he repeats a few times. For a moment there I consider giving him a jump then think better of that idea when the image of him causing a big crash out on the road flashes in my brain. "Maybe we can call someone to come down and get you" I offer. A look of pure evil anger flashes onto CH's face. The first pitch is right across the plate and I don't mind telling you that it rattles the windows. "South paw, huh" I think to myself rather quickly. The second pitch from the left is also right there in the strike zone. I turn my head to the left for this one, letting the right side of my face absorb a big hit. Not as earth shaking as the first though. He throws a right and I see the opening of a lifetime. I pull the trigger on a massive right handed blow to CH's right face. During the first two pitches from CH, the audience has gasped and cried out, fearing for the safety of the old man, as it were. With my first swing, CH is propelled backwards, his arms go up swinging around as he tries to keep from falling backwards. CH staggers backward for a good 16 feet before he flops on his backside. My son has exited the Ranger in haste and strides across the lot from the truck toward his Father, putting on a pair of work gloves. He looks really pissed off. CH looks like he has just gotten off an extended ride on one of those little merry go rounds on the school grounds as he tries to get back up. I remove my vest, rotate my head around, throw a short right and left jab, and come up on my toes for a couple of bounces. I invite CH to stand up and nicely ask him if his medical insurance has been paid up. Biker guy steps up to me on my left with his hands up for a moment. He points up the road at the approaching flashing lights. "Cops are coming" he says. CH is crawling toward his truck now. Biker guy jumps forward and restrains my boy. For a moment there it looks like he is going to stand Ch up and knock him down a few times. Biker guy walks my boy back to me. He then pulls a towel from the trunk of his car and hands it to my son. "Hows you're medical?" he smiles. I taste blood about here and look down at a the red stains all over my shirt. "That's not good" I say. My son looks at me and shakes his head back and forth "Mom's not going to like this" he says ominously. "That's why we're not going to say anything about this" I state authoritatively. "Humpf" says my son, "You can't hide this" he says flatly and points toward my face. CH is still slowly crawling toward his truck. The Police are coming down the road and I see more lights in the distance. The attendant girl comes out with another towel with some ice. Mrs Jim has an uncanny way of turning up at the most inopportune moments so I furtively glance all around. I don't see her in any direction. "Whew" I think to myself. Biker guy reports that he would like to exit before the Police arrive. I think he might be on to something there but don't get in his car fast enough before he drives out the back. I look Biker guy right in the eyes, "For a moment there, I thought you were gonna burn that guy down" I say. 'For a moment there, I was" says Biker guy. We are all standing there when the local constable roars in and slides to a stop. I can only imagine the thoughts going through his mind when he sees all of us big guys standing there looking less than happy. He slowly gets out of the cruiser, hand on gun and looks really worried. "That's him right there by that little white pickup" yells the attendant girl while pointing at CH across the lot. A look of relief flashes over the Officers face as he looks at Ch over there. CH is now climbing into attendant girls car. She points this out to the Officer and loudly suggests that CH doesn't know who his father is. The Officer strides out to meet with Crack Head. "This might be interesting" I offer up. "Anybody got a mirror?" "Soccer mom steps up with hers and we clean up the mess as I begin to give a play by play...

Officer Friendly goes out and starts speaking with CH. It begins to go down hill steadily. Officer Friendly wants CH to remove is hands from his pockets, stand still, be quiet, show some ID, stand in one place, listen instead of talking, and quiet down. CH ramps up the volume and fidgeting and such. He is holding the right side of his face. "5 bucks says he gets arrested" I offer up to the spectators. A second Officer rolls up, one that I may have had contact with at one time or another. He looks down at me for a moment. "Bite off more than you could chew?" he asks with a smile. "How do I look?" I ask. "It's an improvement" he says. Officer Friendly is pointing a finger at CH. CH bats Officer Friendly's finger away and runs toward the street. "Oh oh, might just get a little pepper spray" I say. Officer Grisly trots out toward Officer Friendly. Officer Friendly commands CH to stop. CH, due to his condition, can't run very fast. Since there is traffic passing by he runs out toward the road there and circles around the store sign and heads toward us again. Officer Grisly pulls his taser out and yells for CH to stop several times before he fires. There is a kind of Pfft and then a click click click. As you might imagine, CH goes down like a bag of wet mice. CH is subsequently hand cuffed, first just his hands but later, when the effects of the electrical storm begin to abate, he gets his ankles and then his ankles to hands cuffed. He is a slow learner apparently. Officer Grisly would like to hog tie me I suspect, and has several strange questions concerning the recent reported sightings of some dual snowmobile engined go cart. I feign ignorance and suggest medical attention should be afforded to me at once. We get out of there as fast as possible, heh heh. I quick hit up the family practitioner for a couple of small sutures over the right eye and we are off to the store for a big bag of ice.

Hey 1954. Saw bones wife is a snitch. We barely got out of the Doc's office and my phone rings, it's Mrs Jim. She's somewhat less than ecstatic but does ask first about my well being though. She loves me. I find out at length that if there happens to be a single hair out of place on the Son that things wont bode well for me. I reassure her that everything is fine. She recommends scrubbing the days planned work schedule for a personnel one on one assessment. As happenstance, fate, and unexpected good fortune would have it, before she can (grab an axe handle) jump in the truck and come on out for a visit, she gets a series of calls from the corporation that owns the filling station, the franchisee, and the morning attendant. The Corporation is understandably upset with Crack Head and plans to prosecute but is thankful for my interjection. The morning attendants have some minor injuries that needed attention. There is some damage to the store and some of the contents. It sounds like they are all Lawyering up, so to speak. Thankfully for me, they all painted me into a rosy picture of the helpful,concerned, upstanding citizen with no small part in procuring their safety heh heh. This may just turn out to be one of the greatest 'get out of jail free' cards ever. There is a heart rending sad side to the story though. I had contact from CH's parents. Nice people from all outward appearances. Concerned about the well being of all participants. They are heart broken and devastated at the position that they are in. They cried. What a terrible toll the drugs exact. One of our clients is a substance abuse counselling outfit that the court usually sends offenders to. I made a call to the owner and he talked to the parents on the spot. I'm hoping for a happy ending for them.

Back