• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

What did you have before the Checkmate?

MikeW

What did you guys have before your checkmates?
Here is a pic of my 100mph squirt boat. It had a blown 900hp Dart block 509 (4.5" bore 4" stroke)Pump gas motor. Still got the motor boat is now in AZ with a ZZ502 in it. Ran upper70-Low 80's with 500hp.
298liberator.jpg

What did you guys have before your checkmates?
Here is a pic of my 100mph squirt boat. It had a blown 900hp Dart block 509 (4.5" bore 4" stroke)Pump gas motor. Still got the motor boat is now in AZ with a ZZ502 in it. Ran upper70-Low 80's with 500hp.
298liberator.jpg

Currently I have a 2000 Pulsare cd w/ 300 Promax.

Before that, I had a 1987 Starflight cd w/ 200 Merc. I loved that boat, it ran about 65 or so. Really no comparison to the Pulsare model as far as performance, but I really liked the hull style.

Before that, I had a 1986 Diplomat I/O w/ 4.3L 185hp Mercruiser. That boat would run an honest 55 and felt like you were going 70.

-Craig

Craig your all Checkmates arn't ya?
icon_biggrin.gif
I right now have my 14' Aluminum boat with the 50 Force. Long time ago I used to have a VooDoo but that was a while back...

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
Checkmates may not be the fastest boats on the water, but they are the nicest looking!
icon_cool.gif

I started with a 76 16'Baja w/115 Johnson and then went on to the following: 85 Wellcraft Scarab w/260 hp merc.,87 Four Winns Horizon w/230 hp merc.,87 Checkmate Starfire w/260 OMC cobra ,89 21'Searay w/260 hp merc,83 Checkmate Exciter w/260 hp merc,86 Glastron CVX w/260 hp merc.,87 Senator w/330hp merc.& finally my 87 Enforcer with a 454 Magnum.I love those V8 Sportboats!
icon_biggrin.gif

My first boat was an 8' Wooster Hellion with 57' 7.5 hp Evinrude. I saved my work money for years for that one. My second (after college) was an 84' 18' Baja w/ 150 Black Max. Wanted a Checkmate, but no dealers in the area, so I settled. Next was my dream: 80' Checkmate Enchanter with 200 2.4 Merc. Then my new dream: 95' Pulsare w/ 225 ProMax.

Sometimes I wish I would have fallen in love with gokarts or something a little less expensive and consuming....

Very cool guys. I'm trying to get this little 12'ter for the kids now. No it is not this Scat Cat thing, its like this no name hull, I am not sure of it. I had a 40 I think and now I am trying to find it.

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
Checkmates may not be the fastest boats on the water, but they are the nicest looking!
icon_cool.gif

Sort of this order, some boats I've owned while owning the others: 1954 Crestliner 12' aluminum with a 7.5 horse Merc. 1991 Crestliner Muskie Pro 16' aluminum with 40 hp tiller Merc, 38 mph best speed with 17" aluminum prop. 1992 Checkmate Pulse 171 with 1992 2.5 XR6 Merc and 6" jack plate, 70 mph best speed with small hub 26" Laser II. 1995 Persuader 183 with 4.3 LX Mercruiser, 1.62 geared Alpha drive, 59 mph GPS best speed with a 23" Laser II. 2000 Alumacraft 14' Aluminum with 15 Honda. 1994 X-Stream (Hydrostream) Valero, never put a motor on it. 1989 Hydrostream Virage Turbo Stage II ZT, 1994 XRi 150 Merc 2.5 150 horse motor, 70 mph best speed GPS. 1995 Checkmate Pulsare 2100BR with 1995 2.5 Promax 225 with 23" Tempest prop, 70 mph GPS best speed so far at 6400 rpm. On order: 10" jack plate to replace stock 5.5", factory bow cover. Probably need a new higher pitched prop after that
thumb.gif

1995 2100BR/1995 225 Promax/23" Tempest

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eriktheviking61:
I started with a 76 16'Baja w/115 Johnson and then went on to the following: 85 Wellcraft Scarab w/260 hp merc.,81 Glastron CVX w/140 Johnson ,87 Four Winns Horizon w/230 hp merc.,87 Checkmate Starfire w/260 OMC cobra ,89 Stingray w/260 merc.,89 21'Searay w/260 hp merc,83 Checkmate Exciter w/260 hp merc,86 Glastron CVX w/260 hp merc.,87 Senator w/330hp merc.& finally my 87 Enforcer with a 454 Magnum.I love those V8 Sportboats!
icon_biggrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reposted because I forgot a couple of them
eyes.gif
.I used to go thru a boat a year.The two boats that weren't Checkmates but stood out as a quality pieces were the Wellcraft Scarab and the Searay.
icon_razz.gif

You don't ever want to see how those boats are built, especially the Sea ray if it was later than 92 or 93. Too bad Scarab is no more, Well Craft went cheap like most of the rest.

Erick, Your Sear Ray was built when the Ray family still had the Company, it was a first class boat then! I hated to see Scarab go, they were a good looking boat. A dealer here tied to sell me a close out last fall, it was a 26 fotter, sigle 454 mag, moderate options, he told me I could steal it for 65 grand, maybe that is another reason Scarab is no more. 65 Grand for a boat line that is no longer made, get out of here

What did you have before the Checkmate?

A credit card with a zero balance and a Van Halen message board.
icon_biggrin.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Webmaster
Checkmate-Boats.com-The Fanatics Home!

Chris, sorry, I have to Spam for a minute, since you and Rick are the Van Halen Kings, and it is time to buy new CD's for the summer, If i had to get one VH CD ( Dave, not Sammy) What should it be. You can move this question if you need to
thumb.gif

I saw VH and I have to stick my nose in...
Fair Warning is the album to get in my opinion.
I've got em' all, but EVH's work on that album is unreal. You guys ever crank the solo section of Panama when your flying your Checkmates?? "Yeah, she's running a little bit hot tonight.."

Heck it has been so long since I owned a boat that I could hear something but Motor music. The boat had before the Liberator was a 1978 20' Baja. Still got it looking to sell it. it was a mini off shore and a nice ridding boat. This is my first prop boat I had in a long long time. It was a 1960 Larson All American with a 1959 30hp Johnson.

Hey Bill and Checkmark,
I saw Van Halen back in 1978 when they were the opening act of a triple bill!They opened up for Ronnie Montrose(Sammy Hager used to be their lead singer) and Journey.Steve Perry had just joined the band. What a concert!
bounce.gif
Anyway that Scarab was one Quality boat thru-out.They were ahead of their time. The hull was solid as a rock just like the Searay.
icon_cool.gif

Too bad Checkmate is one of the few that STILL builds them the way they used to.

Mike W.--Awesome Liberator, I would haved loved to see that screamin' around the chain!

Back