• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

LED Lighting

Blue Mist '97

Even though my boat is for sale, I can't stand it, so I have to figure out how to spend some money before spring. Therefore, I have decided to install some additional led lighting on the boat. Cockpit is already wired up in blue led strips, but I would like to light the motor compartment and update the cuddy cabin a bit.

Are there any preferences for brand? I am looking at Super Bright LED and Custom Dynamics "Stingerz" right now. Anyone used either of these brands? Other suggestions?

For those who may have installed lights already, how long a string do you need for the motor compartment. Would 4 strings 38-40" long be too much light? I would generally think that you can never have enough light in the motor compartment. At least when you get as old as me.

In cabin, I have taken out the OEM reading style lights that are mounted above and will put up 2 surface mount dome style led lights. I would also like to light the side compartments with a string each. Again would one 38-40" string be too much for that enclosed space? Would a 24" be better?

One other question. The cabin light switch is a 4-pin toggle switch. It is bad, so can I substitute a 3-pin toggle in it's place or must I replace it with a similar switch?

the cabin lights look really good. Have you thought about looking into LED that come in rolls? I have seen them done and they look good. I have a set but have not had time to install them.

on the switch is it a lighted switch? Most 3 pole switches are on-off-on switch and 4 pole are usually just off-on.

Last edited:
I have looked at them for a couple of weeks. It would be cheaper to go that route, I think. The light kit from Custom Dynamics is $450 for 7 39" strips and connectors, etc. Kinda pricey.

May have to go the reel route and then cut them to fit. I was just being lazy and thinking that I could find some ready to mount and save some time. However, those are pretty expensive.

Regarding the light switch, I do believe it's supposed to be a lighted switch, but it has never worked. I have finally found a lighted 4-pin switch (on-off) made by SeaDog. Not what I really want, but there isn't much out there in 4-pin, so I am going to order one tonight.

I looked at Oznium and their lights are very nice. The 38" strips are $38.99.

I also found Plasma LED here: http://www.plasmaled.com/
Their lights are listed at $27.99 for 4 ft. strips.
They say they are 5050 leds and not 3528 leds. I don't know what that means, but everything I have read says that 5050 leds are bigger and brighter than the 3528's. With brighter comes more expense, of course. Everything I am lighting is going to be inside. Cabin and motor compartment, so I don't know if size of the led will make a big difference or not.

So, I am still stuck on which brand to buy.

Reactions: jjg
I looked at Oznium and their lights are very nice. The 38" strips are $38.99.

I also found Plasma LED here: http://www.plasmaled.com/
Their lights are listed at $27.99 for 4 ft. strips.
They say they are 5050 leds and not 3528 leds. I don't know what that means, but everything I have read says that 5050 leds are bigger and brighter than the 3528's. With brighter comes more expense, of course. Everything I am lighting is going to be inside. Cabin and motor compartment, so I don't know if size of the led will make a big difference or not.

So, I am still stuck on which brand to buy.

I was looking at the RGB Led strips but still not sure how to attach in the cabin.
Under the gunnels is the easy part. You can also use the phone wire splices since they are waterproof and will work with the same gauge of wire as is on the led strips.

I like those round RGB lights. Those would look cool in the cabin, especially being battery powered. Test 'em out and see where you like them best before you install.

Not sure if I want RGB's for the cabin or not. I think I just want one color in there. Still considering them, but if I go one color I may wind up with a controller to dim them down at times. Guess I could go RGB and keep them on one color. NAH, I would have to use them all..

By the way, can you get phone wire splices at HD or Lowes?

I like those round RGB lights. Those would look cool in the cabin, especially being battery powered. Test 'em out and see where you like them best before you install.

Also in the cup holder tubs back by the rear seat. I should be getting them in a day or so. I will post the results.

Still not sure about these lighting strips. Almost all that stuff comes from China. After looking at leds for days, I have decided that strips are strips, mostly, so why spend $150 + for a 16 ft. reel of lights when you can order the same thing for $20-$50. Only real difference is size and brightness of lights.

Found a 25' strip online that should go completely around the inside top lip of the motor compartment. Should be an easy install with no cutting, splicing and connecting. Need to go up and measure one more time to be sure of the distance around the compartment before I order.

Also, ordered 2 led surface mount puck lights to replace the hang down fixtures in the cabin. Also ordered a rectangle dome led light for the forward area nearest the bow. Guess I had never looked up at the forward bulkhead before because I just discovered there was a light there. Last, I ordered a couple of thin pathway accent lights to replace those in the cabin and a Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse block to mount on the front wall of the motor compartment. Don't really need the fuse block, but it will be nice to have a power source in the back if I ever want or need to add anything else.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...led-fixture-with-3-position-switch/1227/2873/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...dome-light-led-fixture-with-switch/1791/4191/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...alm-3-led-rectangular-accent-light-module/22/

https://theelectricaldepot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1175

go to costco, by the package 12' or 18' strips for accent lighting, glue stick on rgb white backing. cut of power adapter, strip two wires nd wire to battery and/or switch. use included remote to turn on and off and change color as well intensity. cost for cost for 32 feet... 60 bucks! i have lit my truck bottom with htese and turn heds everywhere i go, boat is next. recommend shrink tubing at the joints for extra hold.

Mine are coming from a truckstore.
42 euro. And go with sound on and off.
Saw it on a truckshow. I bought the 12v version.
18 different colors incl dimmer and remote control.

Still not sure about these lighting strips. Almost all that stuff comes from China. After looking at leds for days, I have decided that strips are strips, mostly, so why spend $150 + for a 16 ft. reel of lights when you can order the same thing for $20-$50. Only real difference is size and brightness of lights.
Superbright is great! look for leds with the yellow "bulb" those are cree and are the best and brightest.
the sylvania ones at costco are good quality. I will mount them tomorrow and try some pics. I like rgb for mood but can select white to see stuff.

Decided no strip lights in the cabin for now. Actually, no place to hide them in the cabin, so new round led puck lights on each side and a new led bar in the front compartment. Manual on-off so we can make it as bright as needed. Also, new blue pathway leds.

While crawling around under the cover during the day, the last pic is a poor snap of new led instrument lights in blue. Camera phone didn't pick up very well. Look better in person and should look much better at night.

Attachments

• P1050022.JPG
    P1050022.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 25
  • P1050030.JPG
    P1050030.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20150205_145737(1).jpg
    20150205_145737(1).jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back