• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Handling issues/rumors on some checkmates?

PA-Checkmate

I have read over recent years that some models don't handle as well as others. Just wondering what models/years? I own a 2002 Convincor 270 and only thing I noticed the way I drive is the lean when making a turn left/right. Also noticed at WOT and trimming up for last MPH... it gets real light and especially backing out.

While on this, what models/years were re badged Baja Hulls?

Did Checkmate ever use vented or stepped hulls and which ones?

Thanks

Porpoising at cruising speeds is a common issue across a few models( trim settings and tabs help). The pad bottom Pulsares and the older OB pad bottom hulls all tend to chine walk @ 65-70+mph but this can be tuned out or at lease down by raising the motor and having enough set back(at least 12-14 inches)

The ZT 275 is out of a Baja mold but hand laid the Checkmate way so lighter.

Porpoising at cruising speeds is a common issue across a few models( trim settings and tabs help). The pad bottom Pulsares and the older OB pad bottom hulls all tend to chine walk @ 65-70+mph but this can be tuned out or at lease down by raising the motor and having enough set back(at least 12-14 inches)

The ZT 275 is out of a Baja mold but hand laid the Checkmate way so lighter.
They lean in turns due to how narrow they are at the bottom. Check your Convincor, it's probably only 6.5' wide at transom lower corners. They porpoise some at lower speeds because of where the center of gravity is, you counter it with trim and throttle....these things are the trade off for being able to trim out and get light as you say to maximize top end speed.

I don't know much about the ones from Baja molds. The ZT 244 is the H2X. I always thought that latest ZT260 was a 26 outlaw but was stated on this forum that it might be a hybrid type deal.

-Craig

They lean in turns due to how narrow they are at the bottom. Check your Convincor, it's probably only 6.5' wide at transom lower corners. They porpoise some at lower speeds because of where the center of gravity is, you counter it with trim and throttle....these things are the trade off for being able to trim out and get light as you say to maximize top end speed.

I don't know much about the ones from Baja molds. The ZT 244 is the H2X. I always thought that latest ZT260 was a 26 outlaw but was stated on this forum that it might be a hybrid type deal.

-Craig
I meant latest Convincor 260....ZT260s are not made anymore....too bad, cuz they were a good boat.

Back