• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Looking for a Promax or Bravo 1FS 28P

Grasa

Hello Gang - looking for a 28P Promax or 28 Bravo 1FS. If you have one for for sale let me know - Text 561-501-3698

Hello Gang - looking for a 28P Promax or 28 Bravo 1FS. If you have one for for sale let me know - Text 561-501-3698
Hope you found one. I have run both a 24 ProMax and 24 Bravo FS on my 2400 / 300R Checkmate. The Bravo turns a bit more rpm, and that's even with me raising the ProMax higher on the jack plate since it still holds at the higher heights. In my case I think a 24 ProMax would turn the same rpm as a 25 Bravo FS.

curious to know what ran better the Bravo or the pro max
In 58*F weather, the ProMax turned about 6348 rpm @ 76 mph, (about 8.5% slip) with about 1/4 - 3/8 tank of fuel. The Bravo ran 6350 rpm @ 73 mph in warmer weather with 8.5% slip. When I loaded the boat up with a full tank (another 260lb of fuel) the ProMax only ran about 73 mph but at the same 6348 rpm, so the slip increased to 13% - 14%. My boat is heavy, loaded (about 3300 lb) and I think the Promax just did not have enough blade area for that much weight, hence the slip increased. I touched a clay shoal with my FS prop and sent it off to have it cleaned up. When it came back it only ran 72 mph at 6450 rpm and the slip had increased to 13% so it has to go back to have more cup put into it. I only had about 3/8 of a fuel tank and at 6450 rpm the engine is pulling power to keep it from going on the hard limiter. So I will get it cupped like a 25P FS prop, and try again with a full tank. I am thinking the FS will outrun the ProMax at full weight, but the ProMax will outrun the Bravo when I am running lighter by at least 2 mph. When I had more weight with the ProMax, I also ran the jack plate higher (which did eliminate the chine walk) but likely contributed to the higher slip as well. If your boat can turn a 28 ProMax, it is flying, probably 86 - 90 mph depending on the rpm and slip.

The fastest I’ve been on it so far with the 27 Pro Max is 88MPH at 6380RPM. That’s with 5-6% slip. IYO should I try a 29” Bravo I FS?

The fastest I’ve been on it so far with the 27 Pro Max is 88MPH at 6380RPM. That’s with 5-6% slip. IYO should I try a 29” Bravo I FS?
With the slip that low, I doubt the FS will be faster, but you never know until you try. What type of engine and boat is it on?

Checkmate Pulsare 2100BR/300R with SM 1.75:1 Gears.
That boat is about 800 lbs lighter than my 2400 so I would think that the ProMax should be faster. I can raise my hydraulic plate higher with the ProMax than with the Bravo FS, but I assume you have tried to run that Sportsmaster at 1" below with the ProMax? A 27 ProMax is really a 28 ProMax casting with cup removed at the factory so many prop guys would use 28P for the slip calculation which is 9% slip and that is still very good. You could send the 27 Promax to Marks Propeller or Bblades and ask them to change the cup height so it is identical to a factory 28P ProMax, because that is the only difference between a 27 and 28 ProMax. How much faster was the 300R on that boat versus the 300XS if any? Did Randy rig it? A Solas Scorpion is a fast 3 blade prop, but they run very stiff. I could only turn a 24 Scorpion to 6000 rpm but it was not totally broken in. I think a 26P-27P Scorpion would turn the same rpm as a 28P Promax. They make them in 1" pitch increments up to 28P but they say you should add about 2" to the stamped pitch to equal many Mercury props. The good thing is, they only cost about $330 so you are not out bad after selling it if it does not work out. I think there is a Checkmate member (if I recall correctly) with a 27P and he claims it was the fastest prop he tested.

That boat is about 800 lbs lighter than my 2400 so I would think that the ProMax should be faster. I can raise my hydraulic plate higher with the ProMax than with the Bravo FS, but I assume you have tried to run that Sportsmaster at 1" below with the ProMax? A 27 ProMax is really a 28 ProMax casting with cup removed at the factory so many prop guys would use 28P for the slip calculation which is 9% slip and that is still very good. You could send the 27 Promax to Marks Propeller or Bblades and ask them to change the cup height so it is identical to a factory 28P ProMax, because that is the only difference between a 27 and 28 ProMax. How much faster was the 300R on that boat versus the 300XS if any? Did Randy rig it? A Solas Scorpion is a fast 3 blade prop, but they run very stiff. I could only turn a 24 Scorpion to 6000 rpm but it was not totally broken in. I think a 26P-27P Scorpion would turn the same rpm as a 28P Promax. They make them in 1" pitch increments up to 28P but they say you should add about 2" to the stamped pitch to equal many Mercury props. The good thing is, they only cost about $330 so you are not out bad after selling it if it does not work out. I think there is a Checkmate member (if I recall correctly) with a 27P and he claims it was the fastest prop he tested.
I had an Optimax 250XS Racing OS HD Motor that Randy C rigged back in the day. The beat I ever saw with that motor was 80.3MPH on GPS with a 26” Fury 3 prop. Now with the 300R everything changed. The Promax 27” is a phenomenal prop. I run it with the motor all the wat up on the JP.

I had an Optimax 250XS Racing OS HD Motor that Randy C rigged back in the day. The beat I ever saw with that motor was 80.3MPH on GPS with a 26” Fury 3 prop. Now with the 300R everything changed. The Promax 27” is a phenomenal prop. I run it with the motor all the wat up on the JP.
Yeah, I think the ProMax for an out of the box prop, is hard to beat on the 300R with a light hull. There is another guy in FL with a 2400 / 300R but it is an older non liner boat. He has tried the Trophy, Bravo FS, 23 ProMax, Fury 4, and labbed 24.5 ProMax. The fastest prop was the labbed 24.5 ProMax. The Fury 4 was only about 1 mph behind, but he sold it and wants to get a 23.5 ProMax.
The ProMax comes out of hole fine, accelerates very good in the mid range, has good top end, and you can raise it higher on the plate and it still holds. When I raise mine to about 3 - 3.25" below, it is much better for chine walking than my Bravo FS. I think you can get a prop labbed to your boat that will outrun the ProMax, but out of the box, they are hard to beat, especially on a lighter hull like yours. On mine the slippage starts to increase with a full tank (about 250 lb more than a 1/4 tank of fuel). I ran a least 5 - 6 props and most of the props under 15" diameter did not do nearly as well (except for the ProMax). You got a very good speed increase (8 mph) going from the 250 HP to the 300R (they say the 300R is 328 HP?). So you gained you gained 1 mph for each additional 10 HP and that is very good. 1 mph for 15 HP is more usual but perhaps your lighter weight makes it easier to do. Maybe a labbed 28 ProMax will put you over 90 mph? That would be a fun ride!!!

This was with approximately 33 gallons of gas with the 27 Promax. I think a 28 Promax will get me to 90 MPH with enough runway.

Attachments

• BF14C03B-6C4A-4BF0-8CA7-B2A0EE0028EF.jpeg
    BF14C03B-6C4A-4BF0-8CA7-B2A0EE0028EF.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2
This was with approximately 33 gallons of gas with the 27 Promax. I think a 28 Promax will get me to 90 MPH with enough runway.
I think you will do it as well. At the same slip you have to turn the 28P at 6270 rpm to hit 90 mph. Since the 28 has more cup than the 27P, your slip might improve 1%, but it is very low right now!

I think you will do it as well. At the same slip you have to turn the 28P at 6270 rpm to hit 90 mph. Since the 28 has more cup than the 27P, your slip might improve 1%, but it is very low right now!
I am going to try a 28.5” Bravo 1 FS this week and see how it goes. If I could get my hands on a 28” Promax that would be ideal. I am wondering if the larger diameter of the B1FS will increase slip and thus slow me down. I need to play with the Trim/JP to see what works best.

I am going to try a 28.5” Bravo 1 FS this week and see how it goes. If I could get my hands on a 28” Promax that would be ideal. I am wondering if the larger diameter of the B1FS will increase slip and thus slow me down. I need to play with the Trim/JP to see what works best.
I my heavier boat the slip was very close between the 24FS and the 24 ProMax, and when the weight got heavier (+250 lbs fuel) the slip on the ProMax got worse than the Bravo. More diameter often reduces slip, and more cup (like the ProMax has) also reduces slip and the FS has less cup than the ProMax. I think the 28.5P FS might turn about the same rpm as the ProMax but run 1-2 mph slower, but that is just a guess and nothing more. On my boat I can run the ProMax higher on the jackplate but your hull has a pad and a Sportsmaster and mine doesn't so good luck and we will find out. Let me know how you made out, I will learn something.

Hey Grasa, I am running my first Pulsare BR. I had it out for the first time with a 250proXS....fishing motor is what I hear it referred to.
Just curious what your setup is, setback propshaft height etc. you have the better gearcase. Whats your estimate for speed for me? 13.5" setback.
thanks

Kevin

Hey Grasa, I am running my first Pulsare BR. I had it out for the first time with a 250proXS....fishing motor is what I hear it referred to.
Just curious what your setup is, setback propshaft height etc. you have the better gearcase. Whats your estimate for speed for me? 13.5" setback.
thanks

Kevin
Hello Kevin, the 250 Pro XS is a great motor. I had a 250XS (racing version of the Pro XS with 6400RPM Rev Limiter) before I upgraded to the 300R. I had a Hydraulic Jack Plate with 12” of Setback and the Torquemaster 1.75 lower unit. I think the highest height was right around 1” below the pad before starting to lose bite and speed. Running a 26P 3B Fury prop the best I could ever get out of it was 80.3MPH on GPS right around 6000-6100RPMs (with the Bow Cover). My estimate for your setup (with 13.5” of setback) would be 75-78MPH. You have to play with the motor height, trim and different props. I heard the Trophy Plus 4B is a good prop for the Pulsare so you might want to try it. It never really worked for me for whatever reason but some folks here in the forum really like it. Another option might be the Tempest Plus 3B. If you want to try a ProMax 4B it might also be a good choice. Be aware that for the TM gearcase 3B props are typically the fastest. There is no way to know what works for your setup until you try different things. It’s a trial and error process and it takes time and money. Calculate the prop slip with each prop also. That would give you and idea of how “efficiently” the setup is running.

In 58*F weather, the ProMax turned about 6348 rpm @ 76 mph, (about 8.5% slip) with about 1/4 - 3/8 tank of fuel. The Bravo ran 6350 rpm @ 73 mph in warmer weather with 8.5% slip. When I loaded the boat up with a full tank (another 260lb of fuel) the ProMax only ran about 73 mph but at the same 6348 rpm, so the slip increased to 13% - 14%. My boat is heavy, loaded (about 3300 lb) and I think the Promax just did not have enough blade area for that much weight, hence the slip increased. I touched a clay shoal with my FS prop and sent it off to have it cleaned up. When it came back it only ran 72 mph at 6450 rpm and the slip had increased to 13% so it has to go back to have more cup put into it. I only had about 3/8 of a fuel tank and at 6450 rpm the engine is pulling power to keep it from going on the hard limiter. So I will get it cupped like a 25P FS prop, and try again with a full tank. I am thinking the FS will outrun the ProMax at full weight, but the ProMax will outrun the Bravo when I am running lighter by at least 2 mph. When I had more weight with the ProMax, I also ran the jack plate higher (which did eliminate the chine walk) but likely contributed to the higher slip as well. If your boat can turn a 28 ProMax, it is flying, probably 86 - 90 mph depending on the rpm and slip.
I will most likely be ordering a labbed 26P ProMax (20 week delivery time right now) to try for speeds in the 78 - 80 mph range, which might be a long shot considering I have only been 76 mph with the 24P ProMax, but with 2 of us in the boat. Perhaps alone, I could touch 77 mph in very good conditions.

Back