• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Foam vs balsa

harleyhopper

I have put down a deposit on a 1979 Enchanter at a salvage yard. It has been sitting outside in the Ga weather for some time with weeds and such growing. There is no DNR sticker so I don’t know when it was last in the water. After ripping out everything, was wondering pros and cons of foam or stick with balsa.

Attachments

• 84C60FCA-C8C2-409B-86F1-914A1CE3B85E.jpeg
    84C60FCA-C8C2-409B-86F1-914A1CE3B85E.jpeg
    930.5 KB · Views: 11
I hope you know that you will spend more money in material and supplies restoring that boat than it will be worth when done. You will not be paid for your labor.

End grain balsa is a little easier to bend into and around curves, foam does not absorb water.

Attachments

• 8A7A4331-6080-4C11-888A-950FFF12291A.jpeg
    8A7A4331-6080-4C11-888A-950FFF12291A.jpeg
    723.5 KB · Views: 17
The foam I was meaning was the pour in 2 part foam and not the foam board. Was really hoping someone had experience or point me in the right direction. I have always loved Checkmates. Steve

The foam I was meaning was the pour in 2 part foam and not the foam board. Was really hoping someone had experience or point me in the right direction. I have always loved Checkmates.

But is sounds like you are planning to use it to replace balsa core? It likely will not expand evenly and you will have to shave it before glassing over it, I don’t think that sounds like a great plan. Second issue, 2 part foam has been used to fill the floatation boxes on old Checkmates. That has often turned out poorly as the foam used was not really water proof enough and over time water that gets inside the box is partly absorbed. If I was replacing balsa core I’d want to use what all the modern boat builders are using for that purpose.

But is sounds like you are planning to use it to replace balsa core? It likely will not expand evenly and you will have to shave it before glassing over it, I don’t think that sounds like a great plan. Second issue, 2 part foam has been used to fill the floatation boxes on old Checkmates. That has often turned out poorly as the foam used was not really water proof enough and over time water that gets inside the box is partly absorbed. If I was replacing balsa core I’d want to use what all the modern boat builders are using for that purpose.
Thanks Karzrus. Yes, I’ve seen numerous videos where they pour in 2 part foam and they caution to be sure of vents because it could blow out a floor or hole in the bottom because it expands so much. Apparently it fills in everywhere.That is info I was looking for. Thank you, Steve

Back