• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Mercruiser throttle feels tight

boatn70

So I am working on a Mercruiser Throttle handle....4000 MPC gen 2 control on 350 mag mpi.
when first engaging into gear the handle is very hard to move, almost feels abrasive. Once forward enough in "throttle" position it feels easier. Reverse is similar but it has less travel there anyway.
I pulled the control assbly off the side of the boat, opened it up, grease looks good, everything seems clean, no obvious wear marks from something rubbing or out of alignment. Took cable out completely, from the motor end I can move everything freely, cables feel like they travel nicely. Reconnect and friction. Without cables connected inside control the control seems to be ok.
I have the installation manual and there is a "Control handle friction adjustment nut" that is noted to be set from the factory. I did not adjust that nor do I see what it will adjust.
Thats my issue right now.

Does anyone here have some experience with this and can offer some advice for me??
Thanks
Kevin

If you unhook the cables from the motor end, but leave them attached to the controls and have them in the routing that will be used when running the boat, how does the shifter feel? Also, are these new cables? I'm pretty sure the adjustment you mention just changes the friction on the handle and would normally be used if the throttle handle was slipping when running the boat without your hand on the throttle, and wouldn't be different with the cables hooked up.

Also, are you testing the shift with the motor running and in water? I think the combo of the gears spinning and the shift interrupter working (which it may not shifting the boat running but not in the water, it relies on feedback from the prop engaging) will make the shift smoother. On my Bravo it shifts much easier on the water than it does on shore.

so I did get a little deeper yesterday. The control and the tension adjustment are just fine, I disassembled and checked through everything, lubed and all good. I can move the cables easily (original cables) if disconneted from one end or the other. Cables good. Control is good.

I started going through the way they are connected on the motor and thats when I found the issue and I cannot find anything wrong with it except:
The shift bracket on the exhaust manifold has the incoming shift cable from the control, a pivot arm that then moves the cable to the drive. All of this is good and moves freely. The culprit is an enclosed spring mechanism that must be to help "snap " the control handle back into the neutral position. It is similar to a return spring on a carb. When that is removed everything moves like butter. with it in place it creates some real resistance. I think it may also be there to keep proper tension on the throttle cable so that rpms cannot vary with a sloppy cable or something.
I have not run the boat on the water yet as it is new to me. I am just going through all the things I thought may need attention first

Thanks for your input, I have photos on my phone and will try to post here next.

so I did get a little deeper yesterday. The control and the tension adjustment are just fine, I disassembled and checked through everything, lubed and all good. I can move the cables easily (original cables) if disconneted from one end or the other. Cables good. Control is good.

I started going through the way they are connected on the motor and thats when I found the issue and I cannot find anything wrong with it except:
The shift bracket on the exhaust manifold has the incoming shift cable from the control, a pivot arm that then moves the cable to the drive. All of this is good and moves freely. The culprit is an enclosed spring mechanism that must be to help "snap " the control handle back into the neutral position. It is similar to a return spring on a carb. When that is removed everything moves like butter. with it in place it creates some real resistance. I think it may also be there to keep proper tension on the throttle cable so that rpms cannot vary with a sloppy cable or something.
I have not run the boat on the water yet as it is new to me. I am just going through all the things I thought may need attention first

Thanks for your input, I have photos on my phone and will try to post here next.

The enclosed spring mechanism you describe I'm pretty sure is the shift interrupter. It's purpose is to cut spark to the engine for a brief period of time as the drive shifts into gear. This lightens the load on the gears and makes it easier to shift. It relies on pressure in the cable building up, making the contacts ground out and cutting the spark. As soon as the engine goes into gear the pressure is relieved and spark is restored.

I don't think the spring does that itself but there is a magnetic switch (at least that's what it looks like) that is coordinated with the pivot arm that I described. I disassembled the spring mechanism and there's not much to it.

Here a quick photo, maybe it's part of that as you said. Wondering if it can run without if it isn't the interupt

Back