• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

My Pulsare is having surgery!!

JUPITER PULSARE

After having my Driver's seat pedestall tear out of the floor last weekend I decided to do some "digging". Found out that the prior owners once had the pedestall do the same thing. They did a quick fix by rotating the pedestall and rescrewing it to the floor. The old holes leaked water and the floor around the base of the pedestall was mush. I removed the seats, carpet and floor to find out that the water travelled down the top of the stringers rotting them also. (about the top 2") I was also surprised to find that the Pulsare was foam filled in the voids on each side of the gas tank and forward of the gas tank. It looks like I'll be removing the tank, foam and stringers and rebuilding using composite stringers (mantex). I'll also glass an aluminum plate to the underside of the floor where the pedestalls will be reinstalled. I plan on threw bolting them to make them indestructable!! I may be the first Pulsare on the site going through a floor replacement so I'll shoot pictures and have them posted!! After that it will be new red carpet for the floor or possibly pirelli flooring?? not sure yet

Originally posted by Boston Predictor:
I thought you got a new Pulsare and were selling this one??
Hey Boston, the Pulsare deal fell through. The dealership did not disclose that the boat was a titled theft recovery that was refit at the factory...they advertised the boat as a "new" left over and would not budge off of the price. I did make them a fair counter offer that they are considering...until then, I'll fix up my long deck and make her stronger and faster!! Besides, I would not even consider selling my old boat until the boat is repaired to race boat quality!!!

Finally got a chance to work on the Pulsare some more. I met with the shop forman that worked for me at Active Thunder to discuss the tear down and rebuilding of my Pulsare floor so it would stand up to offshore pounding. We are going to remove the foam in the void forward of the gas tank and turn that area into a storage with an access door. The fuel tank will be raised 1" and pvc tube will glassed to the hull under the tank, running from the new storage compartment towards the transom to drain the new storage. The foam on the port & starboard sides of the tank will be removed. 7-ply wood will be glassed on both sides with aluminum plates glassed to the bottom where the pedestals will be remounted and tapped into the aluminum using stainless machine screws. The stringers will me replaced using a high density pvc coring material called Mantex. We've used it extensively in the offshore industry for transoms, stringers, bulkheads, etc. The stuff cannot be compressed and will never rot and it's lighter than wood stringers. The glasswork on the floor will lap up the sides of the existing gunnel storage bins for added strength. The final touch, which I'm still deciding on, will be finishing the floor in Rhino Liner color matched to the red accent stripes of my boat. I think it will be a really cool contrast against the black plus the stuff is water proof and indestructable!! Hopefully I'll be done in 4 weekends! I will post pictures when finished.

Floor is removed, stringers removed, fuel tank removed, foam removed. At the grinding phase to clean everything up before new stringer layout. Pictures soon to follow!!

MORE PICTURES

HERE ARE PICTURES LOOKING TOWARDS THE TRANSOM..NOTICE THE CUSTOM ALUM. PLATES FOR THE MOTOR MOUNTING BOLTS!

Attachments

• 012_12.JPG
    012_12.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 016_16.JPG
    016_16.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 156
Pictures of tear down

Here are some pics looking towards the bow. I've removed the foot throttle from the angled foot rest and will be mounting directly on the floor at regigging.

Attachments

• 011_11.JPG
    011_11.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 013_13.JPG
    013_13.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 116
pad bottom

There was ply glassed to the pad bottom under the tank. The wood was also rotted so It was removed. PVC pipe will be glassed under the tank for future drainage.

Attachments

• 006_6.JPG
    006_6.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 010_10.JPG
    010_10.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 86
Joys of trimming the floor

Here are the joys of trimming the floor and removing the storage bins.

Attachments

• 004_4.JPG
    004_4.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 005_5.JPG
    005_5.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 105
As of today the new Mantex high density stringers are tabbed into place. Weep holes for proper drainage will be drilled, all measurements will be triple checked before the stringers and tank bulk head are glassed into place. More Pics to follow!!! Steve

Adam L. said:
Fun Stuff!!

You got the Talon yet?
My check just cleared and I have the OK to pick up the Talon...now I just need to find a way to get it to Florida!! HELP!!! Anyone heading south from the Northeast??? I'll gladley pay gas and shipping!!

Road trip!

Looks like your heading for a Looooong road trip!

I had a car shipped from Arizona to Michigan earlier this year, cost me $700 and I figure it was well worth it. Maybe you can get the boat trailered up for under a grand? Google up car transport and see what you find..............

bmw330cic015s3ng.jpg

Thanks, JW. I have the shipping posted for bidding right now. I'm going to see what kind of bids come in before I make a final decission. I figure the round trip for me to be 2800 miles....2800 miles divided by 15 mpg equals 186.67 gallons of gas multiplied by $3.05/gallon equals $569.35 in gas plus $100.00 for a hotel room and $50.oo for food and I'm at $719.35.....and a sore back and ass!!!!

PLUS

You gotta figure wear and tear i.e. another oil change, added mileage to the vehicle (resale value), tire wear, brake wear, etc...........

What is the govt. mileage figure at? $0.45 a mile? Even if you figure $0.35 a mile, it adds up to $980 just for the car, not including hotel and extra cost on food.......................

I think we used Able Auto Transport........but there's a few others out there too.

If it was a car not a boat I could probably work something out. no way to get a boat to the top of my car hauler.
I am going to Jersey in the morning from Dallas round trip with 5 flatbed 3/4 trucks to exchange at the Lowes home improvement stores.

Big Dave said:
If it was a car not a boat I could probably work something out. no way to get a boat to the top of my car hauler.
I am going to Jersey in the morning from Dallas round trip with 5 flatbed 3/4 trucks to exchange at the Lowes home improvement stores.
Hey Dave, the boat is on a trailer..if that helps!!

This was the tear down thread. The rebuilding of the stringers and floor including pictures is under "New Mantex Stringers in Checkmate Pulsare".

Back