• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oil Coolers

SneakyPete

I want to add an oil cooler to my oiling system. I have a high vloume melling pump in a Canton pan desingned to be filled to 4 quarts. I run K&N 2 quart filters for a total capacity of 6 quarts. I don't have an oil temp guage, but with my new heads, cam, and exhaust I will be running for extended runs of close to or at WOT. I want to use this cooler http://revolutionmarine.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/oilcoolers.html and a sandwich adapter from Transdapt, along with a oil thermostat from Permacool. My question is the fitting on the sandwich adapter are 3/8 NPT, while the cooler has 1/2 NPT fittings. I can't seem to find a sandwich adapter with 1/2 or 3/4 fittings. Is 3/8 enough? I know a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Also, If I use the 3/8, it -8an line big enough?

Pete,

Here is a picture of the way I rigged my oil cooler. I used a thermistatically controlled filter head. I think its a real nice way to rig. Everything is from Hardin Marine. All lines are -12 AN , all pipe fittings are 3/4". I also rigged a Pre-Luber from ESP.

Attachments

• opt filter head.jpg
    opt filter head.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 26
That's a righteous set-up. I don't have the remote filter however. I see an electrical lead coming from the filter head. Is that for temp?

Man you must have small fortune in AN fittings. I will have like $300 easy in them when I finish the fuel system and oil system. The cooler I plan on buying also replaces the PS cooler, so I can dump the old MErc one and put this one in its place. I am going to lag it to the stringer. Space is a little tight in my hatch. My fittings are 1/2 NPT, what the corresponding hose size, -10?

BTW I just switched my order from the regular AN fittings to the Aeroquip socketless fittings and saved about $200, I am also looking forward to not pulling stainless wire threads from my finger tips now.

Pete,

Yes that wire is for an oil temp gauge. Yes, I did spend a small fortune on AN fittings.Yes, 1/2" pipe is generally used for -10 AN lines. Mine are 3/4" pipe and -12 AN lines.

Back