• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

There goes my summer!!

Glad to hear you'll be back in action soon. HOw fast do you think its going to be? will this one break 90?

I finally got mine fixed and running good. now if I can only stop spending my money on gas and oil, I can start buying some props and get some real speed:brickwall:

Is it gonna break 90...? That is what I've been thinking about too.! I forget what top speed you were at after you put on the -2 shorty, I think it was something like 83, and the conditions wern't perfect. If that was correct, in the same conditions I might say it'll be close to 90. I'm thinking there'll be 80-90 more horsepower than you last engine. So I'm gonna say that if you took it out on a 60 degree day in October or sometime in the real early morning...then it might reach 90mph.WOW! that's real fast and impressive for a N/A, I/O, 25'.:lol:

I would love to see 90, but I think that is a bit too optimistic. I wont have the time to actually dyno this engine, as it should be. So, tuning will be seat of the pants and plug readings. The good thing is that I have my base line from my last combination which isnt too different than this one. The cam is quite a bit bigger, the compression ended up .17 higher. I am now at 9.39 to 1. My desk top dyno says it should make 725 hp @ 5900 rpm. Thats 45 more. I dont think that 45 hp will make a hell of a difference. Maybe 2 mph. I think I can get 87 in good conditions, but we will see. With any luck, I'll be testing next week.:bounce:

The engine is almost completed. I'll post a few pictures soon.

you go vinny!!!---ive followed this thread awhile and as an ex-LI boy from huntington (i live upstate now)---i was pulling for ya to get it together again and be out on the water ASAP----as a professional auto mechanic and gearhead from way back i appreciate the intelligent and meticulous rebuild----and i know all too well the antsy feeling in the stomach when all is together and initial firing is to commence----when she fires and rumbles for ya though----:drool: ----well, it makes it all worth it-----best of luck on it and let us know

steve

Thanks Steve. Yeah I have that feeling right about now. No matter how many engines you have built, its always nerve racking until it fires up and you here the rumble and see oil pressure.
I am just about done with the engine. The only thing left is to fill it with anti-freeze and pressure check it. Its been a long couple of days for me. :shakehead: I am worn out from the pressure of getting this thing back together.

Attachments

• opt front new 540.jpg
    opt front new 540.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 27
  • opt new 540.jpg
    opt new 540.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 25
hey vin----not sure bout you but in my experience me and my buddy jeff never fire a new motor until 2 ice cold budweisers are popped open-----just a taboo thing with us----once we almost fired one and had to STOP EVERYTHING until those beers were open and we took a sip---lemme know when you're gonna fire it and i'll drink a beer for good luck to ya from up here in Troy NY brother..... :cheers

Vinny, I like how it took you about a week to do what took me a month...Looks great. Question on the FWC exchanger. What is it mounted to, and is it one piece? Mine is held by 2 mounts, one on each head, and I hate them, yours looks like one piece, and I like it.

Steve,

Thanks for the offer. If you want, pop one open about noon on Monday. I should be firing it up about that time. As for me, I dont drink beer or any other alcohol. Maybe I'll crack open a Snapple before turning the key.

Pete,

The bracket for my heat exchanger mounts to the heads. Never mind the chain, its only there for lifting the engine.

Attachments

• PC150014.jpg
    PC150014.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 13
  • PC150016.jpg
    PC150016.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 12
hey vin----just checking in to see if you had fired it and maybe updated----i messed up my leg waterskiing this last week so im outta work a few days----i missed the 12 noon good luck beer but i'll drink one now for ya :cheers ----hope she sounds killer for ya...

Well, today was a deluge of rain here. As some of you know, I keep my boat at a high and dry marina with indoor rac storage. The guys were nice enough to block the boat up inside the hanger, so I could get my work done. I have to say the weather inside the hangar was as bad as outside. The heat and humidity was incredible. :sick:

The end result is the engine and drive are bolted on. The boss there didnt want me to run it inside on the hose. So, I removes the belt ( so I dont melt my seapump) and fired it up for a few seconds. It fired fine, oil pressure came right up, but thats about all I know for know. The weather looks good for tomorrow, so I'll be there early to have it dropped in the water. I can finish up everything else tied up to the dock.

BTW, I hit the key at 12:30

More tomorrow.....

Last edited:
Today was a good day. :bounce: The weather was great, finally stopped raining. I got the boat dropped in the water this morning. After a double check of the installation, I fired it up. Went over the adjustments and let it run at the dock for about 1 hour. The neighbors must have loved that one!!:devil: But who cares. All went as planned, no glitches to report. I let it cool down, checked everything again and went for a break in run. I kept it between 3500 and 4000 rpm for about 1 hour, then headed back in. Just before I got to the last no wake zone, I cracked it open to about 3/4 throttle, gauges were good, as the speedo was passing 70, I pulled the stick back. All in all, a great day. Thursday is the next day I have a chance to run it in some more.

This new cam has changed alot of things for me. The sound from the exhaust has changed dramatically. I cant describe it, but when you know your boat well, you can hear it. Getting up on plane is different as well. I either have to give it more throttle or let it take longer to get going. This is confirmed by my desk top dyno. While it doesnt compare to the real thing, it did say that the hp and torque curve moved up the rpm range a bit. No big deal, I can certainly get used to it. Hopefully, the change will bring me more top end power. We will see in a few days.

Here are a few pictures of my broken DragonSlayer crank. Dont ever want to see that again...

Attachments

• PC190015 opt.jpg
    PC190015 opt.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 20
  • PC190019 opt.jpg
    PC190019 opt.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 15
Vinny,

I'm glad to see your season isn't over.

The new motah looks killah! :devil:

Hopefully, you can get a video done and take us for a youtube ride with the new powerplant. :thumb: :)

I took it our for another run today. The weather was very hot and humid. Heavy fog around the ocean as well. So much moisture was in the air that my Wilson manifold to carb spacer and carb were dripping with water. I never saw that before. The water was dead flat calm, no chop or wind. I got a bit bolder with the stick. I was able to cruise @ 3/4 throttle at 80 mph. A bit faster than my last engine was able to do. Then again, 80 seems to be similiar to the sound barrier, easy to get to, not so easy to pass it. Can someone explain that to me?

Next time out, I am going to check the valve lash. If all is good, I'll see what it gives me at wot.

Vin, It kills me to hear (see) you saying you were cruising at 80:eyecrazy: , at 3/4 throttle:surf: . That just sounds awesome to be able to cruise that fast:lol: ! I'm sure you're using the same prop right? So the rpm's verses mph will be the same as before right? I guess it looks like this new engine will turn your same prop faster. How fast is safe for this engine and how fast is safe for the drive? Did your parts supplier do you justice on the rebuild as far as the failing balancer goes. Did you and him determine that the balancer caused the engine to let go?:irked: P.S. If you send me one of your old rods and pistons I might sleep with it between me and my wife.....just kidding, maybe.:D

Charlie,
My parts supplier did take care of me but not as well as I thought he should have. The same old story goes here, no warranty on race parts. If they fail, the owner seems to always eat it. According to him, the balancer was not the culprit. He claims that the balancer would have taken out the #1 main bearing, not broken the crank in half. My thoughts are how can anyone tell what the hell is happening @ 6000 rpm?
Right now I am running the same Hydromotive P5-X. I hope that I have to have it tweaked a bit. Not sure yet. I need to run it at wot to get some #'s. I am looking to get a max rpm of 6000. I was close with the last engine, hoping this one goes over the mark I have set. There isnt much more power, just about 45 more h.p. It just takes so much more power to gain a few mph, its sickening.
The rpm at the speeds I have gone at so far, are the same. They have to be, same prop and set-up, same slip, same #'s. I feel that I may have a little more throttle left at 80 than I did with the last engine. The again, it may fall on its face at wot, who knows. Hopefully next time out will tell the story. Unfortunetly, believe it or not, my wife is actually coming out with me tomorrow, so no speed runs will be possible. This weekend looks like a wash out here, rain is predicted. :sick:

HEY VINNY Where'd ya go:sleep: ? ...Last we heard you were tak'n the wifey out. Did she kick you out and take over the boat or what;) ? What's the latest numbers?

Back