• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

What the heck - I am going for it !!!!!

Ratzlaff

Hi everyone and hope everyone is doing great!

checkmate-boats.com is a fantastic confidence builder for a new 1977 Tri-Mate IV project / basketcase that will hopefully occur in the next few months!! Just got a first look / visit today at this turbocharged i/o 4cyl mercruiser. I appreciate and thank you all in advance for this resource! A big hello.

The hopeful new boat will be named one of two phrases "Dew Deevil Dew" a selection of words used by my grandma that gets her point across while not crossing the line! This line will undoubtedly be crossed by me however!! So, "I crossed the line" A selection of words used by me for taking on this project also comes to mind to get my point across!

:devil:

COOL!!!

Good luck on your build and :welcome:!

I cross the line regularly, so I understand.

Hope the turbo runs great!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are just a few photos of the boat. I forgot to mention my name is Mark and I need to thank Don for letting me have his old boat and promise to give him a ride in it some day?? The boat trailer needs tires so that is first on the list and with the weather I hope to haul the boat home the couple of hours distance sometime by the end of March.

Attachments

• Pictureboat 011.jpg
    Pictureboat 011.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Pictureboat 017.jpg
    Pictureboat 017.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Pictureboat 006.jpg
    Pictureboat 006.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 82
That's the wildest thing I've ever seen. I wonder who did that and when? It looks vintage, but has anyone ever heard of a marine turbo? It's water cooled....

I wonder what you could do to free up the exhaust at that right angle just behind the turbo? That looks like a choking point there. Maybe a megaphone straight out the back:lol::poke:.

Awesome project there Mark. We'll be watching for updates.

i thought you were kidding about the turbo - i have never seen that on a 4 banger before.

marine turbos have been around but becase they build pressure at higher rpms and the turbo lag, i don't think they work that well. superchargers are much more common. i'd love to know how that thing works. i agree with the 90 angle - straight out the back would be better.

that is one wild project - i'll be watching this one!

Yep, the lag may get you for a second or two, but with some prop experimentation, I bet a little ventilation would let that thing get the rpms up and seriously increase the performance of that 4 cyl. On top of that, I bet the economy will be as good or better than a standard 4 cyl. You may be able to get V6 or small V8 performance with 4 cyl economy.

I can't wait to see it operational.

I cant wait as well to get this project going! apparently Don said this had straight pipes out the top when he got it. he said it came this way from the factory but I cant find any proof of that anywhere? He had to quiet the boat down due to complaints on his local lake he used to live on so he routed the exhaust through the stern apparently. hopefully these pipes are still around somewhere in the stuff!!!

Does this project need a new thread away from member introductions anyone?

Attached are a few more photos!!! I particularly like Don's pants in the shot the family gave me of the boat in better times!!

Attachments

• orange boat.jpg
    orange boat.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Pictureboat 051.jpg
    Pictureboat 051.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Pictureboat 024.jpg
    Pictureboat 024.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 22
I was also a bit suprized to see that turbo. Looks like a fun project.

He had to quiet the boat down due to complaints on his local lake he used to live on so he routed the exhaust through the stern apparently. hopefully these pipes are still around somewhere in the stuff!!!

You know, Turbochargers actually make good mufflers. I bet on a larger lake, it won't be such a problem and you could dump the exhaust straight out the back.
I don't know what effect running water through the exhaust would have. Either it might have a bit of an intercooler effect, or it might crack the housing!!!

Back