• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Sanding the Gelcoat

Rob B

Staff member
Over the pass few days I had taken the grabrails,lights and cleats off the boat so I could water sand the top deck and buff the gelcoat out. Although the gelcoat really shines I've got some spots that just wouldn't come out no matter what I did. On the bad spots I went with 800 grit, then 1000 grit and finally 2000 grit. Everywhere else I used 2000 grit.

The bad spots I used 3M Heavy Duty Compound, followed by Wizard's Turbo cut on a wool pad. Then I used Meguiars mirrorglaze no.7 with a foam pad followed by hand waxing with Meguiars Flagship premium marine wax. The results was impressive.

I like the Aqua buff products but wanted to try something a bit different. What I found was that wizard turbo cut I could run the buffer at a much slower speed 1500 to 2000 rpm's and that kept the material from slinging all over the place. Also seemed to cut better. I knew about the 3M and Mequiar products from helping a friend at his body shop when I was in highschool, big difference between buffing cars and boats. Anyway here's a couple of pictures w/ the products I used.

Attachments

• 120_2052.JPG
    120_2052.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 120_2055.JPG
    120_2055.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 472
  • 120_2053.JPG
    120_2053.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 380
Looks really good! Based on the pictures, you'd never know there was anything wrong, but I know from experience how black shows problem areas. While I wouldn't want the upkeep, I have always loved the look of a black boat on the water.

Looks really good! Based on the pictures, you'd never know there was anything wrong, but I know from experience how black shows problem areas. While I wouldn't want the upkeep, I have always loved the look of a black boat on the water.

Thanks!!! The spots are a cloudy/milky look and it's hard see unless you're looking at a certain angle. I tried taking a picture of the spots but you can't see it. Btw the spots are random and isn't very big. I think probably in a couple years I'll have the top clearcoated. I get alot of compliments at the lake on the color combo and yes the upkeep is a pain, sure is pretty on the water though.:D

Here's a picture of what it looked like when I bought the boat last year. That's how it looked all over the top deck.:( But I knew I could bring the shine back.;)

Attachments

• 105_0581.JPG
    105_0581.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 292
Picture at the Boat Dealership

Here's another when I first found the Checkmate at the Dealership.

Attachments

• CIMG0309.JPG
    CIMG0309.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 388
WOW !! from when you found it till now... It does not look like the same boat. Great job. Back in the summer I sanded,buffed,and polished a 30 FT Cigarette for a friend of mine took 3 weeks just to do the deck till then I thought I wanted a big boat LOL come summer all the work you have done this winter will be worth it when you have one of the niceest boats on the river !!! :thumb:

WOW !! from when you found it till now... It does not look like the same boat. Great job. Back in the summer I sanded,buffed,and polished a 30 FT Cigarette for a friend of mine took 3 weeks just to do the deck till then I thought I wanted a big boat LOL come summer all the work you have done this winter will be worth it when you have one of the niceest boats on the river !!! :thumb:

Thanks!!! WB I was thinking the same thing, wanting a bigger boat until the floor resto and sanding,buffing and polishing the top deck. When I was looking for a boat this one was in the price range so I bought it knowing I could bring it back to look good as new. I've owned bass boats before and this was my first family/ski boat.

Outstanding! I did the same thing with mine last year. I still have to give it a once over to get the rich look like yours.

I picked up a bottle of that flagship for like 8 bucks here on clearance. it goes on and off easy. I doesnt feel as smooth as some i have used but it is a nice marine wax.

Hey Robbie; since you seem to be all done why don't ya make a road trip to Tenn and help me strip the bottom kote off my Enforcer; there are plenty of barnacles with your name on 'em:poke:.

Man, it looks very nice:thumb:

Hick

CPULSE170 does nice work huh guys?!:thumb:

Your documentation on all of your projects will be helpful to so many..Thank you!

Black is beautiful when it is clean, but keeping it that way is the hard part. I have owned many black vehicles and they can be a labor of love.

NICE WORK!

CPULSE170 does nice work huh guys?!:thumb:

Your documentation on all of your projects will be helpful to so many..Thank you!

Black is beautiful when it is clean, but keeping it that way is the hard part. I have owned many black vehicles and they can be a labor of love.

NICE WORK!

Thanks HD!!! I've had black vehicles before as well,they're pretty cleaned up, but the maintenance on them are killer!!!

Robbie, you should work part time for a high-end marina. They could use your skills! :bigthumb:

How well has the shine held up? I have tried products in the past that the gel would fade again in a few months.

I haven't any problems with fading yet, also the boat sits under a carport w/ a dust cover on it as well. I've done the same w/ bass boats never had a problem afterwards.

WOW!! GREAT JOB! I may have to go back and start all over again. That is the result I am looking for!

Back