• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

trying to remove old fuel tank

john lamon

I'm having a real hard time getting this fuel tank out of my eluder, I'm about an inch short of room, does anyone know if I remove the rubrail if the top deck will lift easily? also any suggestions on what to do about this ski bar that's in the way of where I'm going to move the tank?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 09 pics 068.jpg
    09 pics 068.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 09 pics 070.jpg
    09 pics 070.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 37
John can you take a picture of the gas tank at floor level, kind of hard to tell from that angle. The ski pole will have to come out completely, then maybe modify it once the gas tank is in. I'm guessing that's the orginal gas tank?

John can you take a picture of the gas tank at floor level, kind of hard to tell from that angle. The ski pole will have to come out completely, then maybe modify it once the gas tank is in. I'm guessing that's the orginal gas tank?

ya I'll take a better picture later today, off to my boys baptism right now... It is the original gas tank but was modified to fit in the front, I don't no what this guy was thinking with some of the stuff he did to this boat, notice the light color blue on the entire deck... it's line-x the same stuff used for truck box liners, he said it was to slippery for his grandkids when the deck got wet plus it was pretty scratched, I guess it's a not bad idea but I got to wonder how much that stuff weighs covering the whole deck.

What was that guy thinking. ????? :shakehead:

I'm currently restoring my '79 Eluder, and from my experinece I believe you should be able to lift the cap in the bow a few inches with no problems by removing the rubrail. The cap is plenty flexible, so if you're just talking lifting the bow a couple of inches it should be fine (Of course you're going to have a couple gazillioin rivets to deal with, and they'll be kicking and screaming).

I've got what I believe is the stock fuel tank, it's 30 gallons and is 18 inches from front to back, I can't remember the other dimensions off the top of my head. It's a tight fit in the stern, but it does JUST fit. If you want I can get the other dimensions for you to compare.

That ski pole will definitely have to go. Mine has a tripod type pole which I believe was factory installed, it mounts to the rear deck and is easily removeable.

What was that guy thinking. ????? :shakehead:

I'm currently restoring my '79 Eluder, and from my experinece I believe you should be able to lift the cap in the bow a few inches with no problems by removing the rubrail. The cap is plenty flexible, so if you're just talking lifting the bow a couple of inches it should be fine (Of course you're going to have a couple gazillioin rivets to deal with, and they'll be kicking and screaming).

I've got what I believe is the stock fuel tank, it's 30 gallons and is 18 inches from front to back, I can't remember the other dimensions off the top of my head. It's a tight fit in the stern, but it does JUST fit. If you want I can get the other dimensions for you to compare.

That ski pole will definitely have to go. Mine has a tripod type pole which I believe was factory installed, it mounts to the rear deck and is easily removeable.

He claimed that the tank that's in there is original but modified, it is maybe only 13-17 gallons so I'll probably have to start over with a different one, that 220 needs atleast a 30 gallon, he only used the boat for fishing, not sure what he has a mate for, he traded this one for a 2100 br w/ 250 e-tec, he's a neighbor of mine at the lake and I've never seen that boat over 50mph... what a waste, he is 74 years old though.

I found a skibar today but it's $385.00 I wasn't planning on spending that much but we all know what BOAT stands for ( bring out another thousand)

He claimed that the tank that's in there is original but modified, it is maybe only 13-17 gallons so I'll probably have to start over with a different one, that 220 needs atleast a 30 gallon, he only used the boat for fishing, not sure what he has a mate for, he traded this one for a 2100 br w/ 250 e-tec, he's a neighbor of mine at the lake and I've never seen that boat over 50mph... what a waste, he is 74 years old though.

I found a skibar today but it's $385.00 I wasn't planning on spending that much but we all know what BOAT stands for ( bring out another thousand)
Oh yes......the two happiest days of a boat owner the day he buys it and the day he sells it!

Oh yes......the two happiest days of a boat owner the day he buys it and the day he sells it!

I have to disagree with this statement. I have had some pretty happy days with a few women, lots of booze, and my boat. Lots more exciting than buying and selling.

I finally got my fuel tank out tonight, all it took was ALOT of beers and some violance, now to move it to the back and install some speakers up front.

Ended up salvaging the tank and was able to modify the skibar mount, almost done putting it in, the tank is stamped 25 gal and after getting it out it's bigger than I thought, It's maybe 20 gal still after they cut it down to make it fit in the front, it runs along the center of the boat underneath the skibar mount and fit without moving anything, I had to build a different bracket for the skibar that stradles the tank but it will work, so I can take the $385 bar back, gonna try it out sat if I can find some open water without ice on it, I know of one spot that's probably still open, boating in saskatchewan in nov will be a first for me. forcast say's 32 degrees:eyecrazy:

With the line-x removel on hold I decided to finish the gas tank and skibar today, here's some pics... you can see where the orig owner notched it to fit in the front, I was going to try and rebuild it or buy a new tank to make it bigger but decided this would work, less weight too and I'm never more than a 5 or 10 minute ride to the cabin to get more gas.

Attachments

• 09 pics 107.jpg
    09 pics 107.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 6
  • 09 pics 106.jpg
    09 pics 106.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 09 pics 105.jpg
    09 pics 105.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 6
Back