• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Bottom Pad fiberglass mods.

I have a 93 Pulse 211 with a 300PM Running @78GPS With 23" set back.I am still looking for some more speed out of it, so I would like to widen the pad From 10.5" to? Has anyone out there have any experience with doing this or have any opinions if it is worthwhile.

Thx in advance Don:cheers

Interesting...:popcorn:

I am not real familiar with the Pulse 211....Is 78mph fast for that hull???

The Pulse 211 is a bigger heavier boat than a Pulsare..I believe the bottom was the same as a Spectra hull with a more modern top deck. The Pulse 211 is 21'4" long with a 94"beam, stout 22 degrees of dead rise and weighs in at over 1760 lbs for the bare hull. I also think you're running too much setback at 23"???? but who knows??? I would carefully look at the motor height you're running, prop and rpm, before changing the pad. You may find more speed with just setup...what kind of gear case are you running?? With that much setback, you should be able to raise the motor quite high which would then require running a CLE or Sportmaster case. That alone could net you over 80 mph with your PM motor.

Pad mods

Thx for the come back Jupiter Pulsare,You are right on the money with the info which you gave.I have tried a cle and actually the boat was slower than the Fleetmaster with the low water p/u. The boat would not go over 65-67 with the cle no matter what prop I tried,and I tried a lot of different desighns and pitches
1)26 MERC CHOPPER BIG EARED
2)25&26 MERC LABED ET'S
3)25M YAMAHA
4)25&27 MERC TEMPEST PLUS
5)25 MERC FURY
6)26 HOSS HDP
THE LIST GOES ON.The motor height has been tried with all the above from 3 1/2" down to 1" above tab, manually un-bolted and moved physically into the different hole patterns.After getting tired of doing this I installed one of Bobs 4" hydraulic jack plates and went thru the trial all again and this time could move up and down while testing.I now have a total of 27" setback and the boat ran 78 GPS with a fleetmaster lower and either the Fury or the Hoss ran the Best numbers at 1" below pad.The set back bracket has a built in swim deck and is manufactured by Stainless Marine out of Florida.The way it is attached to the boat is secure across the entire width of the boat with doubler plates on the inside,no cracks or stress anywhere to be found.I ran the boat all summer with this and the boat seems to like the lever action where the motor sits.I have talked to a person by the name of Browny down in the Florida Tech Dept.about that much set back and he says every boat acts different with set back dimensions,but he figures it should have a 18" with the 4" hydraulic jack plate,making a total of 22" back.The rule of thumb thru them is a 1" setback for every foot length of boat.This boat is not the run of the mill go fast boat,and i don't believe there were a lot of these made,but the boat handles rough water excellent and thats why I decided on this project.Probably needs to get more ponies installed on motor to get it to run faster,but i would appreciate any further input.I should note that the cle had 1.62 gearing where as the fleetmaster has 1.75

Thx again Don:)

78 MPH is cooking in a boat that heavy. How about a pic of the bad boy setback bracket? Usually the 1" rule of thumb includes the distance from the L/U to the transom which might be 7-8", so a 21' boat might need 14-15" additional setback. Every hull is different, so if it is working for you... great. It sounds like you picked up some good speed. No porpoising or ill-handling?

Pad Mods

Mark, The porpoising issues is resolved with the use of the jack plate.If you know this boat you know it is very heavy up front.It is a long deck completely carpeted along with headliner built into it.The boat chine walks as it approaches 70 then settles down at around 74.Probably will go with a lesser set back along with the jackplate.Does anyone know about the foam for flotation under the floor and up in the tip of the bow in this particular boat,does it have it?I talked to checkmate and they said that it does not have it.I have seen a lot of threads stating that this is an issue once it gets waterlogged and adds all the extra unwanted weight.Does anyone out there own one of these now or in the past? A picture of the set back type which I have is @www.stainless marine.com It is the style with the swim deck.I will probably be selling this one which is powdercoated white and is in 9 out of 10 condition (because of mount up only)I thought I could get by with permanent mounting of the engine,but found that jack plate is needed to find the sweet spot for optimum performance and driveability.I would also like to know if it is worthwhile to straight edge the rearmost bottom edge of the transom and get rid of those beveled edges? I have been reading the forum on tripple digit pulsare project,but this boat is unique to its design and so I don't know if we are talking apples to apples when comparing the two.Keep on giving me input guys and gals.

Thx again Don;)

I have a 93 Pulse 211 with a 300PM Running @78GPS With 23" set back.I am still looking for some more speed out of it, so I would like to widen the pad From 7" to 10.5 0r? Has anyone out there have any experience with doing this or have any opinions if it is worthwhile.

Thx in advance Don:cheers
Pad Mods,Typo on my part the pad width is now 7" should I go to 10.5" or?

Sorry about that Don

We're not being a whole lot of help to you since I don't think anyone on the board is running a 211 Pulse. There are quite a few 171's and 185's though.
I only know of the one 21 footer that had the pad widened and that was TCAT's Pulsare. Here is the thread http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4631&highlight=tcat The pics are no longer up but it was widened to 10" and he was seeing 5 MPH more with a 225 Opti. There is a debate going on about the benefit in the 100 MPH Pulsare thread... but I would think a wider pad would help your setup even more since you are trying to unwet a much heavier hull. If you decide to do it be sure to take lots of pics and post the progress.

Pad Mods

Mark,I have been trying to put some attachment pics up,but have failed so far.I think a 10-12" pad would really do the trick where as the 7" just is not getting it on top enough.This is a ongoing project that I am determined to find the right combonation for.Need to know how to approach the desighn of the pad,either a triangular desighn front to rear or a full pad with a front taper to it.How long it should be and if there is a formula to which you can use.I did get a picture of the boat with my online name I hope ,so you can get a idea of what I am working with.

Thx Don

The thing I liked about TCAT's was it followed the entire length of the old pad and looked like it was factory. By simply widening the existing pad it also made it higher. That's the approach I would go with. I've read many threads on this on different forums and never been a fan of building some protruding structure out of the bottom of the hull that some guys end up with.

Pad mods

Mark, Do you or anyone you know have any pics or drawings of how it was layed out,or know who owns the boat now? I sent a pm to TCAT,but did not get a answer back. I take it that he does not communicate on this forum anylonger.
Don

Don't forget you have to worry about the gas tank. Especialy when you move the pad up. You also have to worry about drainage of your lockers in floor.

Mark, Do you or anyone you know have any pics or drawings of how it was layed out,or know who owns the boat now? I sent a pm to TCAT,but did not get a answer back. I take it that he does not communicate on this forum anylonger.
Don
TCAT hasn't been around for quite awhile. He put a 300 on that boat...never heard how it performed. Try over on Scream and Fly, there are several threads on widening pads. I was under the impression they did it from the outside, so I am not sure what that has to do with the gas tank or ski locker.

TCAT hasn't been around for quite awhile. He put a 300 on that boat...never heard how it performed. Try over on Scream and Fly, there are several threads on widening pads. I was under the impression they did it from the outside, so I am not sure what that has to do with the gas tank or ski locker.

Sorry Guys I haven't been on the site since August I have some pics but they are without a measuring tape on it. If one of you want to PM me I can email them to you to post I cant do it on the forum without subscribing and I am never one here much anymore. I can do the measuring tape thing when its back on the lift in spring if you want I cant see it on my trailer it is covered by the bunks.

Here you go I will post a couple more.

There are a few fine stress cracks in the Gel that appeared this year I am getting them fixed in spring.

Remember I did not do the work here it was the first owner of the boat so I do not know teh history on I only know it works very well.
One warning you better know how to drive cause this isn't your normal 2100 when you raise the engine and trim out when it steps up on that pad it wants to fall of it is a real balancing act to keep it level. I am an old boater been driving fast clamp on's for 30 years lots of seat time with many boats Chargers Challengers Hydrostreams. It is a handfull. This mod seems to make my boat run 5-10 miles an hour faster than similarly set up boats but it needs all your attention over 75MPH. I have driven stock 2100 Pulsares they are much more stable and easier to drive at speed. I don't see any difference in rough water ride.

Attachments

• P8070570.jpg
    P8070570.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 76
  • P8070571.jpg
    P8070571.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 73
  • P8070575.jpg
    P8070575.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Back