• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

502 Performance Mods

glenncal1

Hello all-my new to me 1993 251 has a carbed 502, has Edelbrock carb and intake, Corsa exhaust and Merc exhaust manifolds. Are there any perfomance mods that can be done without opening up the motor? Just looking for a little extra power, Might consider a supercharger if it doesn't brakd the bank. Thanks

Yea....I agree with YF.....try adding a better ignition like a MSD box/setup.

How many hours are on the motor? if they are high, you might want to freshen it up before you add a blower. Besides, a blower will work much better if the cam profile is ground for it. A roots style blower for your motor wouldn't be too bad to bolt on if you are keeping it mild. I would make sure your engine has a forged rotating assembly and pistons first.....it should already. If you are keeping mild boost, your stock compression ratio should be fine. If you are going wild, then good forged and dished pistons would be ideal. Also, if doing a wild blower setup, your piston and rig gap clearances need to be increased due to the extra heat in the cylinder.

And when supercharging, intercoolers can be pricey but they add a bunch of more powerwithout any other mods. Blowers make a lot of heat.

Attachments

• 124-EX-100K.jpg
    124-EX-100K.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 127212-blue-05.jpg
    127212-blue-05.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 4
Hello all-my new to me 1993 251 has a carbed 502, has Edelbrock carb and intake, Corsa exhaust and Merc exhaust manifolds. Are there any perfomance mods that can be done without opening up the motor? Just looking for a little extra power, Might consider a supercharger if it doesn't brakd the bank. Thanks
Go with a procharger.It will give you plenty of power and is intercooled so it is easy on the mota. CP has a big sale on prochargers right know or give jason kunkel a call and he can sell and install it for you.

I get my prochargers from the same place CP does " Procharger" Cp does not have them in stock they have to get them from Procharger like anyone else.
I have built 11 engines with this kit and can give you tech advice if you do it your self. You will have to upgrade your fuel system most parts for the fuel system come in the kit.

I can offer the same deal for $100.00 less
Site loyalty is great isn't it.

http://www.mkhammer.com/procharger-...6.html?zenid=e853be84e5027db8f2dc86a668c7d165

Attachments

• 1ma223.jpg
    1ma223.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Throw the e-brock carb in the trash that will be your biggest gain, how many hours are on the engine.

Motor has 100 hours on it, It does have MSD ignition. What carb do you recommend? Holley? Thanks for all the suggestions. Jim

what intake RPM air gap or victor?...holley 850 marine or marine demon 850 carb....big difference over the carter style carb.

I disagree on tossing the Edelbrock carb. I had my 468 dyno'd with literally less than 2 hp difference between a well tuned Holley and my Edelbrock. I suppose there are some applications in which a Holley will work notably better, but not on anything stock or semi-close to it. A set of good manifolds will help just make sure you size them correctly to what you may plan to do inthe future horsepower-wise. Most basic manifold kits handle 600-700hp regardless. Headers are big $$$ and may produce a bit more hp on a stock motor, but prob. not worth the coin until you go with big power. Personally, I'd freshen up the ignition or update it, install some Imco or EMI manifolds and leave it alone from there. Once you have enough $$$, then dig into the motor and do the internals, cam and blower.

Winter your biggest problem with a e-brock carb is the fuel bowls are to small. The tunning on a E-brock takes to much time, the carb is a home owner carb and only good for resale for starting and idleing.

Winter please post any performance engine builder that uses a E-brock other than E-brock. CASE CLOSED :thumb: I would really like your dyno run pulls posted and what size e-brock did you use and what holley. And please do not give me tex book BS that you always post. Just post your findings with a dyno

Holley's or same design are highly tunable and I wouldn't consider using anything else in a performance application.
The Edelbrock carb is for the most part dependable with the Rochester type design.
I have no use for them. I tried one on a 502 carb changed it to a 750 Holley upped the secondary jets 2-sizes, scraped the thunderbolt ignition, put a Performance marine HEI on it and gained 500 RPM. Imco powerflows were already on.

For starters Mr. Red, wanna tell me what BS i'm posting that has your panties all bunched up? I've never BS'd anyone on here and don't have to prove numbers to anyone. I have the dyno sheet for the edelbrock, but the builder didn't bother to print the holley as it was his test unit and he only did it for comparisons sale.

The truth is this: Most everyone on here drives their boat at something short of WOT 95% of the time, so max hp. figures shouldn't matter as much as start-up, idle, accell. and part throttle driveability. On a stock or fairly close to stock motor, holleys advantage is minimal. Next year when I consider a motor with a lot more smoke, then I'll be looking into a Holley product. Besides, edelbrocks are a good deal cheaper.

You answered my question with one sentence you typed :thumb:

but the builder didn't bother to print the holley as it was his test unit and he only did it for comparisons sale.

Well my goodness, i suppose my own eyes must have deceived me looking at the numbers on the screen but only asking to have printed the numbers that mattered.... the ones for the motor i'm taking home. I don't suppose YOU have any comprehensive dyno sheets on a similar motor running both a Holley 750 and an Edelbrock 750 back to back do you? Figured.

Enjoy your Edlebrock winter, My only proof was time slips at a drag strip from 3 different engines after a carb swap. Plus the low performace and rpm drop on a engine when useing a E-brock on two different boats.

I guess you may be right if a man does not know how to work on a carb he is better off useing a E-brock then a Holley. Also the E-Brock is cheaper and he will not cry about the price even though he wants performance.

And if you used a Holley Vacuum carb everybody knows any vacuum Holley carb is useless.

I don't know how to work on a carb so I use edelbrock! I enjoy the way it runs but feel I can get more out of a holley. My next one will be injected

I don't know how to work on a carb so I use edelbrock! I enjoy the way it runs but feel I can get more out of a holley. My next one will be injected

About the only carbs I know how to work on and tune are on small outboards, lawn mowers, and snowmobiles.....haha. But I understand EFI systems really well.......go figure. That is why I run an injected motor. If you don't like the way your motor is running....just punch a few keys on the laptop. Problem solved!

Well, Red speaks the truth there, i'm not a carb genius by a long shot but i did spend less than an hour on the lake last year with the master jet kit and dialed the edelbrock in until it was spot on. But i'll say again, i wouldn't use it if i was drag racing or if i had a motor with much more than the hp i have now. Drag racing is WOT. And the intricacies of a big motor with lots of cam overlap and high rpms will tax an edelbrock quite a lot. My personal fav. is my 900 ultra HP on the 540 in the camaro. It starts, idles and goes like stink at WOT. But it is not happy in the least at cruise.

Back