• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

NOOB from NoVA

DropTop5.0

Hello to all!

I grew up on the water but my family couldn't afford a cool boat but I'm not complaining because we were fortunate enough to have one. So I just drooled over the Checkmates and said someday I will have one.

So here I am almost 40 years old and I've done the fast motorcycle thing and the fast car thing and now I want one of those old Checkmates that I used to drool over.

I am very much a NOOB when it comes to these classic boats and that is why I am here. I've found that most people on the forums are there because of the passion they have and it's that passion that makes them wise. And I'm searching for wisdom.

I want a 'mate and my garage is only 19 feet (maybe 20.5 if I use an angled approach). That narrows it down a bunch. I was thinking I could modify the tung of a trailer to gain some more length and I was thinking I could pull the motor off and store it. See I told you I was a NOOB.

So length is a problem and then the next is which boat. Exciter, Predictor, V Mate??? Is one better than another? Is one more prone to problems?

So I'll close with a thanks in advance for taking a NOOB wanna be Checkmate owner under their wing.

:welcome:

If my memory serves me correctly, my predictor with the motor down and 6" setback is around 24 feet long from trailer tongue to propshaft. hope this helps;)

I like you have always wanted a mate (Since a guy I went to college with in Flint Michigan had one in 1973). Just bought an '04 Pulsare 1600BR with a 125 Merc on it. Spent hours getting rid of all the junk on one side of my garage to fit it in. The fixed tounge on the C-Hawk trailer is quite long for a 16'6" boat. With motor it takes probably more room than you have (I can measure exacctly if you want) -- so I think you will need to end-up with a trailer that ha sthe swing away tounge or else a bigger garage.

:welcome: I live in MN. I have a 21 ft Enchanter with roughly an 18 ft garage. But believe me she's in there! You get the boat first and worry about the garage later!

i pull the motor off my trimate II in the winter to store it, no big deal, it is a half hour job if you have an engine crane

I like you have always wanted a mate (Since a guy I went to college with in Flint Michigan had one in 1973). Just bought an '04 Pulsare 1600BR with a 125 Merc on it. Spent hours getting rid of all the junk on one side of my garage to fit it in. The fixed tounge on the C-Hawk trailer is quite long for a 16'6" boat. With motor it takes probably more room than you have (I can measure exacctly if you want) -- so I think you will need to end-up with a trailer that ha sthe swing away tounge or else a bigger garage.

I had a good trailer company cut and weld a swing tounge on my '91 C-Hawk. It's a tank and works like a champ. Some of the best $ I've ever spent!

Just wanted to let you know in case you find a nice boat and trailer that suits you, it can be cut.

:welcome:

Awesome. I've already learned something. I had not idea there was a swing away tongue. And I was wondering about modifiying one and maintaing integrity.

Welcome man!! I am with the other guys when saying, get the boat you want THEN worry about the garage!!! Thats what I did, and its all working itsself out now. And this is a little off topic, but your name being DropTop5.0, are you refering to a mustang? If so, I like you already!! I had a 93 GT Vert that went mid 10's on drag radials!!

Might you be sporting a 331 in that mighty stang of yours?:bounce:

At one time it was, lol. Last combo was a dart blocked 317ci w/ a 200 fogger. But sadly the car is gone now. I replaced it with an 87 Grand National.

here is my old stang...I miss her..

509897_25_full.jpg

nice looking car..good luck with the mate purchase....where are boating ? moved out of LA 24 years ago....now down in fredericksburg..aka fredvegas...

At one time it was, lol. Last combo was a dart blocked 317ci w/ a 200 fogger. But sadly the car is gone now. I replaced it with an 87 Grand National.

here is my old stang...I miss her..

Sweet 'vert.

I have a stock block and everything is Ford Motorsport. I kept it all Ford. Cobra Intake, X heads, 6 psi powerdine, cobra brakes front and rear, the list is long and distinguished, ha ha.

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 12
:welcome: I hope you find a mate that suits your needs, my Eluder(same size as Exciter)on the trailer is 23 feet with 8" of setback, buy the boat and then worry about the garage:bigthumb:.

PS. Love those mustangs, my first car was a 82' GT that I had for a few years and then sold it and bought a 92' LX vert, loved that car but went to a truck for hauling toys, I don't have any pics of mine but this one is exactly the same.
My cousin has his 89' for sale now and I would love to buy it, just not sure how to fit 2 car seats in the back, lol.

92lxconv.jpg

Last edited:
Back