• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2011 Non catalyst 502 430 hp,496 replacement

2011 Mercruiser 502 380 & 425 HP

I now have pricing and availability for the new Mercury 380 and 425 HP 502 non cat complete engines
I have a pricing for Engine only If you have a Bravo X or XR with a smart craft transom.
or a complete package for older boats, Kit comes with a new Bravo X drive, Smartcraft transom assembly and the 380 or 425 HP.
The 430 hp engine was tested in a boat that came originally equipped with a 8.1 496-425 HP engine. When the 430 was installed with no other modification than a prop change the boat ran 10 MPH faster. This info came directly From Mercury.

Any questions or inquiries contact me

Attachments

• 213983_p_t_360x240_image01.jpg
    213983_p_t_360x240_image01.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 7
Wow, that's crazy. How in the heck did they pick up that kind of MPH. Good read thanks mk.

10 mph current..?? 10 mph wind pushing the boat ??? larger cooler with more beer on the 496 boat. I think it takes about 100 hp to gain 10 mph on the avg boat upto a certain speed then you will need even more than 100 hp to gain 10 mph. i guess time will tell. thanks for the info MK,

Last edited:
The new 502 was tested at Mercury's test lake facility, Brad Hamil of Mercury Marine told me this himself.
It was tested apples for apples no tricks or variations. He said it is possible due to the massive torque increase over the 496/8.1 425 hp. Torque is what turns a bigger prop.
The new 502 is the same components as the Mercury Racing 525 efi. The new 502 is a hell of an engine with big potential. Comes with Aluminum heads, Closed loop fuel injection, ECM and a lot of other goodies ready to run. older boats will need a new wiring harness and a AIG interface under the dash. And the Price is not that bad. due to its new I have confidetial pricing for those interested. Available engine only or complete bob tail package.
I will be adding them to my website with pricing soon.

Reactions: jln
Does it come with a return policy if I don't see 10mph? I think we need to run our own test. My boats available if you'll leave the motor in after testing!!

Does it come with a return policy if I don't see 10mph? I think we need to run our own test. My boats available if you'll leave the motor in after testing!!

Good idea, send it over and we'll run the crap out of her. We'll leave the motor in but you will need to pay for it. lol

I know the new orange zt280 had the new 502 with/cat installed. but i doubt checkmate did any testing due to the time of the year. but maybe Kip will see this thread and have some info to share. 496/425 zt280 should run around 68. could it be possible 502/430 even with a bigger prop is a 78 mph boat . even if the cats held back a few hp a 75 mph boat. if so thats great news. my friend has a 259 with a 502/ 550hp and runs about 75, i think 24 pitch bravo 5100rpm

That would be interesting, I first hand have not drove a boat with a new 502 in it.
I know the torque curve starts near bottom up to 5200 rpm where as the 496 does not. The 496 torque peaks at a certain RPM and does not have the flat 550 ft lbs curve accross the board as the 502.

As far as a 259 doing 75 with a 24 pitch prop at 5100 rpm, He would have to turn a 28 to see that kind of speed at that rpm.
In a new ZT hull with a new 502 it should turn 5100 with a 28 pitch for 75 MPH plus I would calculate.

not sure of the prop on my buddies 259, i know its a rebuilt 2000 502 FI he claims 550 hp maybe after all its not...and that it runs about 75 gps , i thought he said he had a labbed 24 but he was trying props last year. maybe he does have more prop i will have to check in with him . but im really interested to hear if Checkmate ran the ZT280 with that new 502 in it. I know where that boat is at and he is my dealer so maybe when the weather breaks if he has not sold it we can find out what the speeds are.

not sure of the prop on my buddies 259, i know its a rebuilt 2000 502 FI he claims 550 hp maybe after all its not...and that it runs about 75 gps , i thought he said he had a labbed 24 but he was trying props last year. maybe he does have more prop i will have to check in with him . but im really interested to hear if Checkmate ran the ZT280 with that new 502 in it. I know where that boat is at and he is my dealer so maybe when the weather breaks if he has not sold it we can find out what the speeds are.

jln,
My 253 502 mag EFI with a fresh rebuild turns a 24p B1 at 5000 rpms at nowhere near 75 mph. I see 70 on the speedometer. Have not gotten an accurate gps speed.

Like mk said, I would think he would have to be turning at least a 28p at that RPM to see 75.

But, what do I know.

im thinking now that maybe my friends 259 does not have 550 hp as he claims maybe closer to 475 or less. he does pull away from my zt280 but im not sure if he is really that much faster than my resin bucket which will hit mid to high 60's . i think with the price of gas im going to install a trolling motor and just enjoy any time on the water.
jln,
My 253 502 mag EFI with a fresh rebuild turns a 24p B1 at 5000 rpms at nowhere near 75 mph. I see 70 on the speedometer. Have not gotten an accurate gps speed.

Like mk said, I would think he would have to be turning at least a 28p at that RPM to see 75.

But, what do I know.

That's the best idea I've heard in a while. It think my brother might have a spare trolling motor.

I do not know the speed increase first hand but this is what I was told. So proving gound by the public will tell the story in time. The 502 is a great new addition that anyone that buys one will be very happy. If Dana Marine claims 6 more MPH from their 496 exhaust on the 425 HP 496. I would believe the new Merc. 502 engine will do more.
I would like to get my hands on one and test it out.

I do now have Genuine Mercury 496 425 HP re-mans now $7495.00 with a warranty
375 HP $6895.00 plus crate return $175.00, free delivery.

Application GM 496 V-8 block (Left-Hand Standard Rotation). Replaces GM 496 Magnum high-output SN# 0M025000 and up and GM 8.1S Horizon high-output SN# 0M026000 and up (01 & Newer)

Yea BR, comes with ECM, exhaust, all belt drive accessories it's turnkey for a smartcraft transom and a 14 pin connector like the 6.2 or 8.1 have.
Non Smartcraft boats will need the complete kit, transom, drive, wiring harness and AIG interface. still not a bad price for complete rigging. If you are reffering to the 502.
The 502 is not reman they are new

The 496 Reman comes with new ECM and everthing, Since the are bored over there is a ECM upgarde and yes they are complete. I could place a call to verify everthing but I know they come with the EFI not just a long block. They want a core return engine with the same equipment on it the new one comes with and will deliver and pickup for free.

Last edited:
Im sure at some point if I keep the boat that long the motor will need to be freshened up, wont be any time soon, but what would be a good 496 rebuild shopping list?

Depends on what your plans for the motor are. If you are going to just do a stock rebuild/refresh, you can get most everything through the machine shop you plan on using. If you want to build some extra ponies, I would suggest talking to these guys..

http://www.raylarengineering.com/

Back