• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Resto/Custom/Encapsulated Enticer

small pics it is...lol

Replaced all rotted wood with composite materials. There was a "V" shaped groove leftover from where i cut the old floor out so I decided to use it to snap into place 1" by 8" boards to make life a lil bit easier, i think it'll work well... each board had a very tight fit and also used stainless steel screws to screw em down to the double stringer configuration i cam up with..

Attachments

• IMG_2560.jpg
    IMG_2560.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Used and epoxy resin, a thick layer of mat and one layer fiberglass woven fabric... hope that'll be enough? It feels solid as a rock!

Attachments

• IMG_2600.jpg
    IMG_2600.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2584.jpg
    IMG_2584.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Looks great!!! What type of composite material is that? From the pictures it looks like starboard.

Last edited:
Funny you should ask.... As i was about to order "Starboard".. I did more research at "Boat Outfitters" and found out.. "King Starlite", also referred to as "King Starboard XL", is 30% lighter weight and considerably less expensive.
Then they made the mistake of saying it is "very similar to Azek".
So..I ordered Azek from my local lumber yard and saved even more $$$..!!
(Also ordered Azek sheets for all upholstery work. The stuff is light... my boats gonna fly!)

Last edited:
I hate to say this, but starboard is different from Azek. Starboard is much more rigid than Azek. Not sure if starboard is exceptable to use as a stringer, but won't use Azek for stringers. I know, it's too late now. Azek is very flimsy and they say it is not meant for stuctural use.

I built my backseat out of all Azek products as well, but would look into the other stuff for Azek before you go any further. I would hate to see you have issues down the road.

more encapsulation pics....
i still cant figure out how to post the larger size pics... anyone??
Hi Brian,

You'll get thumbnail pics if you attach them with your posts.

If you want full size pics instead, you can always upload them into the photo-gallery first and then post larger pics from the gallery using the picture posting code it provides. :)

-Chris

Used and epoxy resin, a thick layer of mat and one layer fiberglass woven fabric... hope that'll be enough? It feels solid as a rock!

Did you glass over the stringers too? I am sure you did but I did not see it in the photos. :thumb:

I hate to say this, but starboard is different from Azek. Starboard is much more rigid than Azek. Not sure if starboard is exceptable to use as a stringer, but won't use Azek for stringers. I know, it's too late now. Azek is very flimsy and they say it is not meant for stuctural use.

I built my backseat out of all Azek products as well, but would look into the other stuff for Azek before you go any further. I would hate to see you have issues down the road.

Correction.. I bought "High Performance Celluar PVC Trim" boards.., with a "class "A" frame spread rating".. (whatever that means)) at Home Depot..., and used that for the floor,stringers (and boxes I built for bow and stern benches) ..... and Azek sheet for upholstery panels....

Did you glass over the stringers too? I am sure you did but I did not see it in the photos. :thumb:

I did not glass over the 2 stringers.... I though that would be really going over board...? Originally my boat only had 1 stringer... and for the past 8 years it had been rotted out and not doing much structurally .. nor was my floor..
I noted however that the original stringer was caulked/held in place by a Liquid Nails kinda material.... so i found the toughest, most industrial kind of liquid nail product and caulked it all into place like they did originally...

So I have 2 stringers running the length of the boat and several running the width of the floor. The floor boards are screwed down to each of them, then i glassed over it all with epoxy...

Correction.. I bought "High Performance Celluar PVC Trim" boards.., with a "class "A" frame spread rating".. (whatever that means)) at Home Depot..., and used that for the floor,stringers (and boxes I built for bow and stern benches) ..... and Azek sheet for upholstery panels....

The key word(s) here is "trim board" It is designed to be a finish material which holds no structural bearing. If you have any more of the material, stand it on edge and try to bend it. I know they bend very easily on the flat, but still bend substantially when on edge. Did you glue all of the PVC together, to create a unibody type construction system? The stuff they sell at Home Depot is basically the same thing as Azek- they are all cellular PVC products. I think the stuff at HD is Veranda...

Like I said, I would hate for you to have issues down the road when you could correct any problems now. If you had glassed them to the hull, they would hold more in the way of structural support. One other thing to consider is the extreme expansion and contraction of PVC products. Azek says 1/8" per 18', but this is usually for a minimal temperature change. Realistically it is 1/8"+ for 8' of material with a temperature change of 60 degrees.

My question is how well does epoxy grab these plastic materials? Is there special prep involved? This thread really has me thinkin.

The key word(s) here is "trim board" It is designed to be a finish material which holds no structural bearing. If you have any more of the material, stand it on edge and try to bend it. I know they bend very easily on the flat, but still bend substantially when on edge. Did you glue all of the PVC together, to create a unibody type construction system? The stuff they sell at Home Depot is basically the same thing as Azek- they are all cellular PVC products. I think the stuff at HD is Veranda...

Like I said, I would hate for you to have issues down the road when you could correct any problems now. If you had glassed them to the hull, they would hold more in the way of structural support. One other thing to consider is the extreme expansion and contraction of PVC products. Azek says 1/8" per 18', but this is usually for a minimal temperature change. Realistically it is 1/8"+ for 8' of material with a temperature change of 60 degrees.

I hear what you are saying and I appreciate your input! You are obviously more of a pro, than I am!

The PVC boards i bought (1by6 and 1by8) are quite stiff when on it's edge... especially when cut to size... that's what gave me the idea to use them.., and the unibody type construction I came up with feels very strong. I would not recommend this material/system for a larger deep V type boat, thats for sure!
But for my little boat... I think it's gonna work very well..!

I will take it out in Atlantic ocean for a test run and get it completely airborne and see how she holds up (it wouldn't be the first time) and hopefully I'll have my buddy on another boat get some good pics..! I can't wait!!

My question is how well does epoxy grab these plastic materials? Is there special prep involved? This thread really has me thinkin.

Epoxy is the "only" thing that will grab composites..!
I almost made that huge mistake! Thank god i read all the directions!!
And of course epoxy is much more expensive but I found it very easy to work with, especially with the pre-measured pumps that "West Systems" offers.

Amazingly i found all my material at Ace Hardware, including thick mat and woven, in bulk.

Attachments

• IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 26
I redesigned the side panels and panels at cockpit area, to be rounded out.
I think it gives it a more modern look and a nice flow...?
The rounded curve is exactly the same in the rear as by cockpit area..
I traced the curve using a large trash can lid.... high-tech! lol

Attachments

• IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2772.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 52
Redesigned the rectangular bow bench to emulate bucket seats, sorta..?

I used wood to make a templates for almost every composite piece I cut.
(including the bow bench as you can see)

Attachments

• IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 49
Thank god i didn't cut out the fiberglass lip leftover from where they glassed in the plywood! The composite material fit so tightly I see no reason to..?
Besides its gonna be bolted down to the seat blocks.

Attachments

• IMG_2783.jpg
    IMG_2783.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2782.jpg
    IMG_2782.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2865.jpg
    IMG_2865.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 30
Back