• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

85 Diplomat

TTweedy

I'm looking at an 85 Diplomat with a 185 V6 I/0 and trailer. Appears to be in solid shape with a new lower unit. Interior is good with the exception of one seam going on the drivers seat. Gel coat looks good, normal bumps and bruises, one long side scratch and a half ass repair on the front bottom of the hull.
I have not seen it in person yet, just photos. The floor is said to be solid with one slightly soft spot.

What do you think is a good price for this?

Sorry, here are the pics.

Thanks

3E13Ic3F55If5G15J8d5ef8fa4c92c73c1c14.jpg

3L93N83Hb5I75Gd5J7d5e2ceffa0844ba17e0.jpg

3L33Jf3Hb5K95F45M6d5e75898bfdc35416a3.jpg

Last edited:
I LIKE IT! :thumb: ! had an 87 dip for about four years and my family and I loved it. Ours was only a 4 cyl 140 hp and maxed out at about 40 or so. Yours should be a little faster. I love the blue flake. Polish her up and leave her alone and you will see all the compliments she will get. I bet the soft spot is in the bow section. I have never done a floor before but there are plenty of people here that are ready to guide you through it......Rich

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 41
That is a nice looking Dip --- love the blue flake --- let us know if you decide to purchase it.
Good Luck

Well the mechanic just went through the boat and it's not good. Two cracked exhaust manifolds & the Gimbal barring needs to be replaced. I stopped the from continuing on with the compression test due to the price tag of the repairs. He's getting me the total list which he's ball parking at about 2K. Now I think that may include some odds and ends that need mending on the trailer. Thoughts?

Well the mechanic just went through the boat and it's not good. Two cracked exhaust manifolds & the Gimbal barring needs to be replaced. I stopped the from continuing on with the compression test due to the price tag of the repairs. He's getting me the total list which he's ball parking at about 2K. Now I think that may include some odds and ends that need mending on the trailer. Thoughts?

My NADA calculator puts that boat at a value of approx $3500 {give or take depending on options}.

So now your stuck with the big question of "how bad do you want it"

I'll say this much, with the repairs done AND if the floor is not rotted AND if there is no serious balsa core soaking, that would be a very very sweet boat.

I think unless you can pick it up for $2500 it's probably not worth it. If you're handy at all manifolds are relatively easy to do and to source off ebay for significantly less than you're gonna pay locally. Gimbal bearing isn't too hard either if your handy and watch the YouTube videos on it.

John

Im with the guys on this one. Although I would hit the guy on the head and offer like 1800. and then take it from there depending on how bad you want it. I bought my diplomat for 1600. I hit that boy on the head good.

That's my thought as well. This was the report from the tech.

1. U-joint bellow clamp off on pivot area- looks like gear lube leaking out by u-joint bellow possible drives haft seal is bad, possibly a gimbal bearing.
2. Water in gear case and lube is low
3. Bellow area in good shape
4. Engine oil clean
6. Both exhaust manifolds are cracked and need to be replaced
7. Test ran motor shifts and seems to pump water okay, tech noticed a lot of noise from the upper gear housing and gimbal bearing area.

From this I would think that the gimbal bearing replacement would cover those lower unit issues correct? Obliviously having the seals replaced while in in there.

The seals on the outdrive side of the drive shaft are not really a "while I'm doing the gimbal" kind of job. They require a good bit of outdrive disassembly. Doesn't sound like a winner to me.

Well I'm down to a final decision on do I or do I not. I can pick it up as is for about $2,500. Was hoping to be closer to $1,800. Do these Diplomats come around frequently? Also What are a totally restored one going for?

I'm an owner! Worked out a deal and took it home last week. What a great boat, and I love the 4.3. I'm hooked!!!

Now for the B.O.A.T. part of the things. I did need to pull it out of the water at night due to it taking on water from the out drive. With it needing a new Gimbal bearing, do I pay to have everything rebuilt, or look at buying a replacement like a SEI?

Back