• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

85 Diplomat

Is there something wrong with the drive? If it's taking on water back there it's probably the bellows or the shift boot. Both of those should be replaced whenever doing the gimbal anyway. If the drive isn't making any noises you can have it resealed if it'll help you sleep at night for a lot less than a full rebuild or replacement.

Well the Dip's off to the shop in two weeks. I'm having them replace bellows and all of the gaskets and seals after he's done with the Gimbal. That with the new lower unit and I shouldn't have to touch that outdrive again for many years.
I'm going to do the exhaust manifolds in the spring. Turns out they are only cracked on the outside and have been for ten years. They may be just fine, but don't want to take any chances. The floor in the bow will also be a spring project.
I inquired with the factory about a replacement interior a few weeks back but have not heard back.

You will love your mate when you get it back and put a good shine on it. Boats like yours are the classic cars of there genre. Believe me people will be sweatin' all that flake. Sure you would of spent some money to get it were you want(we all have) but like anything else pride of ownership is a reward in its self. Good luck ..... Rich

Well the first report and good news from the mechanic is that the Gimbal was fine. Bad news the barrings and seals in the upper out drive are toast. So it looks like i'm having that rebuilt. Have any of you had to have this done? What kind of job is it, spendy?

Well I got the Dip back last week and I have to say things couldn't have worked out better. Ended up with a new gimble and bellows, new input shaft seal and bearings, new prop seals, and basically rebuilt the upper out drive. Couple that with the new lower unit the PO put on and i'm in good shape.
I had him look at everything else in the boat and came up ship shape.

If anyone needs a good and ridiculously reasonable mechanic in Northern MN this is the guy. Dan's All Season in Park Rapids. One of those places when you call he answers " Dan's All Season, this is Dan."

How reasonable, $1,191.78

85 Diplomat **UPDATE**

Hey everyone,So to bring everybody up to speed from this last post. I had a few other updates floating around so I thought I would combine everything into one.

So it turned out that the transom seal was bad, so i had the engine pulled to replace it. Much to my dismay I found that the transom was rotted. So at that point i had to make the decision of scrapping the boat or going all in.......
After some research and multiple beers of course I determined to go all in. I found a fiberglass guy in White Bear Lake, brought it to him (minus an engine and out drive) and he proceeded to tear out the entire transom and replace it with Penske board and re-glass it from the inside. Everything went well. Then had to bring it back up to the mechanic to have it guts put back in it .

After Mike finished the transom we discussed options as far as tearing out all the flooring and replacing it with Penske. I know the front was spongy when I bought it. We also looked at fixing some exterior gouges and scratches which were going to require me to locate the original metalflake. So at the end of last season brought the boat back down to white bear and left it for the winter.

Fast forward to this Fourth of July weekend. Pick the boat up and it looks spectacular. New solid floors, spankin new carpet and buffed back to new. (We did have a minor issue with some gold Halos around the fiberglass repairs in the clearcoat which we are addressing).

Got the mate back up to the cabin, spent the day putting few coats of wax on her and a full detail, she looked brand new! The next day I dropped her ass in the lake, she fired right up. Since the boat had been basically disassembled to install the floors I proceeded to open the engine bay to see if everything was tip top. To my horror It looked like the water show at the Bellagio, had water gushing out of the starboard side of the engine. Pulled it back out drained it and found a frost plug in the bottom of the boat..... Turns out the guy that winterized it didn't complete the job because I have a cracked block. Needless to say there was no boating over Fourth of July.

First thing Monday I was on the phone to the marina that did the fiberglass work. He said don't worry about it it'll be taken care of. They are a big sail boat marina and do not do much on I/O's. As well as it turns out the person that did the winterizing was not their normal mechanic but an independent.

Fast forward to last Friday. So they sent me to a guy in Stillwater specializes in Repowering performance boats. And after a short discussion my new friend has a spankin new Vortex V6 on order from Mercury which will be taking me from stock 175 to 220hp :). And considering that engine was 30 years old, I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't putting out anything close to 175hp. Since I'm getting a new engine out of the deal, I asked my new friend to give me some suggestions on tweeking this one a bit. Right now we are just discussing lighter exhaust manifolds and risers. We will see what he comes back with. I need to save a few bucks for Kip over the winter and my new interior. At that point in time it'll be a fully restored a brand-new boat :). I'm even considering updating the logos, kind of a restomod.

Quite the adventure!

sounds like a great boat!! you may ask the mods to move this thread since you are not trying to sale the boat. now post some pictures!!!!

Hey Chris,
Its "85 Diplomat" under Checkmate Listings. Id think the proper place now is under "Restoration Discussion".
Sorry I couldn't get a link to work.

Thanks
Todd

Back