• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Fuel tank sending unit

topgun

the fuel tank sending unit in my check works but its reading is not steady. This is with the boat on the trailer cause I still haven't driven it yet. ( Cant wait). any ways, It doesngt show a steady reading and the tank I can clearly see is almost half full and it reads almost empty. Now I checked all the conections and the problem I am sure is the sender. So my question for you guys is what is the best type of sender that I should sue to replace the one I have. I notice there are many styles that It looks to me might work in my tank judging by the mounting flange on the various one Ive seen. Again, I just nee to know which one would work best and give me a steadier reading....rich :confused:

Are there more modern/accurate ones out there now a days?
I ran mine dry and then put in 10 gal and the gauge showed 1/2 on a 60 gal tank.
I know to never believe a boat gas gauge but that seems really off.

i have problems with mine too.

the needle on the gauge goes fast right left right left etc.

that is by rpm 1500. if i hit the throttle above 1500 the needle is still in the gauge again.

It seems to me that the straight up and down float style should work better than the lever kind that it had in there. I see wema and moeller as the two brands out there. My tank is about 21 inches high so I figure a 15 or 16 inch sender should work. My old sender turned out to be ok it was just that the lever would only reach half way down the tank so that is why it showed it to be empty. So I am replacing it any way with the other style so it reads all the way down to about 5 inches off the bottom of the tank.

Hey TG, I'm hoping you find the right sending unit and then share where you find it. I have been having trouble with mine also. It goes from full to about 1/3 full, really fast sometimes. I wish to find one that doesn't go down so quickly...

Hey TG, I'm hoping you find the right sending unit and then share where you find it. I have been having trouble with mine also. It goes from full to about 1/3 full, really fast sometimes. I wish to find one that doesn't go down so quickly...
If you go to wemausa.com you will be able to order it directly from them. The one I am going to use is the sss/ssl diesel,fuel or water level sensor. they are available from 4 inch to 60 inch and are made of stainless steel. Like I posted before , My tank is 19 inches deep on the inside so if I allow about 4 inches of fuel in the bottom to compensate for the sloshing of gas when in the water. Then I should be able to use a 14 or 15 inch sender.

I've tried them all.
The non float version from Livorsi didn't make it through a season like the rest of their garbage.

Went from that to the version w/the float the slides straight up and down on it's shaft. I like it a lot and reads very steady.
Very happy w/it so far.

Most of the mounts are the same if built to BIA (I think) standards. All of the ones I tried mounted right to the 28 yr old screw hole pattern in the tank.

The one with the shaft is the same one I am describing. Thanks for the feedback. I kinda thought that design would work better than the lever type I have in there. :thumb:

My boats brand new and my is always reading off. Sometimes it gets stuck on E for a few min. It really gets on my nerves being its a new boat.

I finally got around to ordering the sending unit from wema. I will be puting it in on wed. I will let you all know how it works out.

Attachments

• null-478.jpg
    null-478.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 7
Back