• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800SX Outboard FL Keys rendezvous!!!

Maybe something got in carbs in the exchange or something. Wish you were closer would be able to help you out more.

man i really appreciate the time and effort you (and others) have taken to call and email me about this kinda stuff. buncha great people on this forum. :)

thanks to all you guys lol

Max is back on the water with his 2800! He's going to move his motors down to prevent some overheating issues..then he'll be ready for our trip to the Florida Keys next month!!

Attachments

• Max's 2800.JPG
    Max's 2800.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 48
Any more interior pics? That looks alot more user friendly from what I can see.

i will try to get some....i have a couple on my phone..

adding the drop out bolsters and mounting the the controls and stereo in the dash is the best thing i have done to this boat. it makes it so much more accessible and the room in the cockpit is doubled from before. access to the cabin is also a breeze. it makes the boat sooooo much more enjoyable. money well spent for sure.

re rigging the trasnsom with tube, offshore style cowls , 26 hydromotive props, and moving the engines in to 18 inch centers also has made a huge difference.

im happier now with the boat than i have ever been.

now i just need to get some time and nice weather to get this thing finished.

Well..I'll be on the road heading south to the keys at 9:00am tomorrow:D..haven't heard from Max in a few days..He said he was having some family issues to contend with and wasn't sure if he was still going to make it down:shakehead:. I'm sure glad I've got 28' of boat...it's going to be blowing pretty hard the first few days we're down there...4-6' seas on the ocean side of the keys and a moderate chop on Florida Bay!!:eek:

I've been going to the keys for the last five years. I've taken 2 different Allison Grandsport's and the Check 2400 Pulsare LD on these vacations. Got another one planned @ end of December (taking the Check). I always stay in Islamorada and I prefer the Bayside even tho I'm staying on Atlantic side this time.
Things to do hat I recommend (boating and non)-
Boating: First thing to do is buy a navigation map to use on navigating the Backwater channels if you don't have electronics. I prefer to use both.
Run the bay side from Gilberts in Key Largo(eat lunch and hang out there for a little, great fish balls) to the mangrove shoot just south of Robbies. This is one of the narrow mangrove channels that you will want to run thru.
Dock @ Robbies (Hungry Tarpon rest.) and eat breakfast (great lobster omelet) and feed huge jumping tarpon.
Go out to sandbar out from Islamorada and hang out (has a food barge named "Barnacle Bobs" and has great cheese burgers).
Catch some of the restaurant right in the inlet by Hog Heaven.
Just run for miles and miles but pay attention to channels.
Non boating:
go to Islamorada Fish Club and catch sunset and shop
go to Morada Bay in Islamorada and do a sunset dinner a sand beach
go to Lazy Dayz and dine
go to Key West for the day by car. Leave early, once there rent a moped, bike or a electric car and go straight to "Blue Heaven". This place has unbelievable food and roosters running around your feet. Also, go to Mel Fishers museum, Sloppy Joes, Duval Street etc. Basically tour the island. Finish off the day with sunset and street acts @ Mallory Square.
This usually fills up my week, wasted away in Margaritaville!!!

Hi Steve

missed your calls yesterday.....im actually in the process of helping my sister empty out her house. i was just to depressed and frustrated to even talk about the trip (that im going to miss due a family member's inability to cope with reality.) :(:yell::brickwall::confused::shakehead:

its frustrating but family is family and im needed in a bad way.

take plenty of pics and drive/boat safely. its gonna be awesome. i will get the 2800 down there so we can make good on our 2800sx rendezvous.

I lived in Marathon for 15 years. The keys are definitely a boaters paradise. I wish you a great safe time JP.:cheers:

Had an outstanding trip! Weather was great, seas were only rough the first day, did some outstanding boating, snorkeling, and dining! Enjoy some pictures!

Here's dropping the boat in the water the first day at the Bayview Inn and Marina.

Attachments

• Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 001.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 001.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 004.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 004.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 005.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 005.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 36
Ran through the Long Key Via Duct out into the ocean down to Vaca cut the first day..It was solid 3-4+ out of the east..It wasn't a bad ride with the swell and wind coming off the stern. Sorry for the water drops on the camera lens..it was unavoidable! You can see Captain Hooks in the background of the middle picture. We watched a boat land a BIG tarpon under the shade of the Vaca Cut bridge. The fish was easily 5' long!!

Attachments

• Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 014.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 014.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 013.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 013.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 009.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 009.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 49
Here's a few shots from the Key Colony area inside Vaca cut.

Attachments

• Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 020.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 020.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 017.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 017.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 019.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 019.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 43
Sunsets at the 7 Mile Bridge were spectacular!!

Attachments

• Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 053.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 053.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 043.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 043.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 048.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 048.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 26
This mansion was inside Florida Bay between the Long Key Via duct and Vaca cut. We dropped anchor and snorkeled in their "back yard"! lol

Attachments

• Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 022.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 022.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 024.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 024.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 37
I think my wife enjoyed her birthday trip to the Keys!!

Attachments

• Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 059.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 059.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 061.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 061.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 064.jpg
    Ann's 50th Birthday in the Keys!! 064.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 54
Here's some video my wife shot as we were running Vaca Cut to the 7 Mile Bridge to head out to Sombrero reef. We were running for quite some time right at 70 MPH!!

http://youtu.be/2safeLjsdvc

Here's some video running along side Grassy Key from Vaca Cut towards Conch Key. We were running straight into the wind with a 1' chop and some swells. The boat felt great and gave a good ride!!

http://youtu.be/WvA2CR00r3g

Last edited:
Looks like a great birthday trip and the boat looks and sounds nice. I did a night dive at Sombrero reef. It was loaded with lobsters and barracudas.

Back