• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

15ft V-mate ?

john lamon

Would a 15ft V-mate do ok with a 40 hp? I found a free hull that is in about the worst shape there is, in canada kids can only run a 40 hp from age 12-16, I figure I can have this boat ready in 5 years for them completely restored but I can only go 40 hp, would a 40 even move the thing? I can't see a reason I don't need another Checkmate and I'm sure the boy would love it, I'd most likely just park it somewhere and wait a few years before doing anything with it and then he could work on it too.

The 40 and 60 e-tec look exactly the same just different sticker ;)

Thoughts? I have that 14ft aluminum for him but I think this is safer and the cool factor is defiantly there as well.

Would a 15ft V-mate do ok with a 40 hp? I found a free hull that is in about the worst shape there is, in canada kids can only run a 40 hp from age 12-16, I figure I can have this boat ready in 5 years for them completely restored but I can only go 40 hp, would a 40 even move the thing? I can't see a reason I don't need another Checkmate and I'm sure the boy would love it, I'd most likely just park it somewhere and wait a few years before doing anything with it and then he could work on it too.

The 40 and 60 e-tec look exactly the same just different sticker ;)

Thoughts? I have that 14ft aluminum for him but I think this is safer and the cool factor is defiantly there as well.

Do it John . The V-mate is very light so a 40 would push it just fine till he gets older .

motor

John a 40 hp motor would work and get you about 25-30 mph depending on prop and weight in the boat. To give you a idea a 15 ft checkmate with a 80-85 hp mercury would push the 15 ft checkmate 45 mph. you can change the stickers on any of the Mercury motors if you want more power. One time I took a Mercury 3 cylinder 65 hp Mercury motor and put 40 hp stickers on it and years latter a Mercury dealer called me up and asked me for my help because this motor ended up in his service center on the other side of town and no one there could find where mercury made a 3 cylinder 40 hp motor lol. The dealer thought it was funny and said he never thought about doing that. So changing the stickers can be a lot of fun. I did that a lot at my Action Marine. Have a great weekend and best wishes Always Sammie Action Marine

John a 40 hp motor would work and get you about 25-30 mph depending on prop and weight in the boat. To give you a idea a 15 ft checkmate with a 80-85 hp mercury would push the 15 ft checkmate 45 mph. you can change the stickers on any of the Mercury motors if you want more power. One time I took a Mercury 3 cylinder 65 hp Mercury motor and put 40 hp stickers on it and years latter a Mercury dealer called me up and asked me for my help because this motor ended up in his service center on the other side of town and no one there could find where mercury made a 3 cylinder 40 hp motor lol. The dealer thought it was funny and said he never thought about doing that. So changing the stickers can be a lot of fun. I did that a lot at my Action Marine. Have a great weekend and best wishes Always Sammie Action Marine

Absolutely love that Idea Sammie ... lol .

Thanks Sammy, as fun as changing the stickers would be I would probably stick with a 40 to stay legal in case anything ever happened, but you never know, price difference isn't that much and it's a big difference in power, I was running a 140 on a CVX 16 at age 12 so I don't see why my boy couldn't, I don't think it was illegal back then, or I just never got caught, I understand why they have these laws but it's bs at the same time, with proper training like I'm sure all of our children get they are probably safer at age 12 or 13 running a boat then most of the weekend warriors you see out on the water...

My 220 had 150 stickers on it when I bought it but I put the 220 back on, not sure why I just didn't like the 150

legal

John i understand what you are saying about teaching your kids the right way to run a boat. The motors that we changed the stickers on were all legal for the boats. We did it just for fun and my customers really enjoyed it when they raced the other high performance boats. Always Sammie Action Marine

Not a bad looking boat John . Will be a fun project for sure . Here im just finishing the V-Mate and getting ready to start another ... That's a perfect boat for Rylan ....

Another early Mate going to a good home. :thumb: You guys are going to inspire me to start working on my 72 MX-16.

picture.php

Back