• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Boat Wiring 101 for Idiots......

SCT

So I’m an absolute idiot when it comes to wiring and electrical stuff!

I only need to wire the nav/running and a bilge pump for my old race boat project so I bought a small fuse block off the net.

The fuse block only has one main terminal that is (im guessing) for the positive off the battery. So how do you run the ground for each circuit? Don’t Automotive style fuse blocks have terminals for both the pos and neg?

Also, what gauge wire to run from the battery to the fuse box? I will only be running minimal load. Should a put an inline fuse between the battery and the fuse block?

Sorry for the stupid questions....

PS- I called my insurance lady and made sure the boat/house is insured👍.

Attachments

• F969EC65-FD20-43CB-96D2-0190E8B1921A.jpg
    F969EC65-FD20-43CB-96D2-0190E8B1921A.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 29C4A5AC-F6FD-4492-97C4-2AC81379CFB7.jpg
    29C4A5AC-F6FD-4492-97C4-2AC81379CFB7.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 19
Once you get into it, you'll see how easy it really is, especially in a boat. You will want to run a red wire to your fuse block from the battery. Look at how much load you will require and run that wire accordingly. My guess in a #10 or #8 will be plenty to power what you need and give you some power to add stuff later. Then run the same size black wire up near your fuse black to a terminal strip and use that as a distribution point for the grounds to whatever you need.

So I’m an absolute idiot when it comes to wiring and electrical stuff!

I only need to wire the nav/running and a bilge pump for my old race boat project so I bought a small fuse block off the net.

The fuse block only has one main terminal that is (im guessing) for the positive off the battery. So how do you run the ground for each circuit? Don’t Automotive style fuse blocks have terminals for both the pos and neg?

Also, what gauge wire to run from the battery to the fuse box? I will only be running minimal load. Should a put an inline fuse between the battery and the fuse block?

Sorry for the stupid questions....

PS- I called my insurance lady and made sure the boat/house is insured👍.

Automotive style add on fuse blocks usually don't have provisions for grounding, since most stuff of this nature grounds through the car's body. Marine style fuse blocks usually do have provisions for a ground bus, since you can't ground through the hull, all the one's I've bought do. It seems the one you have pictures is an automotive style.

Reactions: SCT
Thanks for the input , guys. Like Corey suggested, I bought a ground terminal strip off the net last night.

Back