• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

19’ Eluder and I want to repower with a SBC

nub383

I bought a 1985 Eluder with the infamous 3.7l. Fortunately the hull is solid, the interior is great, and the engine runs….now that I put a gasket set in it and reworked the head because it had a stuck valve. I’m going to put in the age old ezsleeve to remedy the antifreeze that wants to visit the oil pan and run with the 4cyl time bomb until I gather up the stuff to put in a sbc. I bought the boat for just the hull and really didn’t anticipate that the motor was in good enough condition to run, but the darn thing does. Anyway, the question is… does anyone have a template to use to fab up motor mounts?

I had a 82 Eluder I/O, mine was 260hp/350SBC but with an OMC stern drive. I would think that the best way to repower with SBC would be to buy a complete Mercury 260-300HP stern drive out of a low hour wrecked boat. That way you get the controls, steering, newer Alpha drive with the correct gear ratio for the SBC, plus wiring and anything else required.

As far as the fibreglass covered wood motor mount bases, I did not take the dimensions on their spacing, but when mine rotted out I replaced them with pressure treated 4"x 6" lumber, I had to shave the bottom side to match the dead rise of the hull, but I'm sure that was exactly what Checkmate must have used in the first place because they fit in the original spot very well.

I had a 82 Eluder I/O, mine was 260hp/350SBC but with an OMC stern drive. I would think that the best way to repower with SBC would be to buy a complete Mercury 260-300HP stern drive out of a low hour wrecked boat. That way you get the controls, steering, newer Alpha drive with the correct gear ratio for the SBC, plus wiring and anything else required.

As far as the fibreglass covered wood motor mount bases, I did not take the dimensions on their spacing, but when mine rotted out I replaced them with pressure treated 4"x 6" lumber, I had to shave the bottom side to match the dead rise of the hull, but I'm sure that was exactly what Checkmate must have used in the first place because they fit in the original spot very
I had planned on putting a complete setup in it for sure. I’m just trying to wrap my head around these mounts. So the 4”x6” run parallel with the transom?

No,
They run parallel with the stringers / hull, the full length of the bilge, with the flotation boxes full of foam on the outside of them. It's been so long ago that I can't remember for sure, but I think they were up against and fibreglassed to the stringers.

Thank you I really appreciate that. It seems like I have one of the few I/O Eluders left out there. It may be the last one with a running 3.7l and somehow I don’t feel lucky haha

When I get a chance I'll see if I can get you some measurements and pictures of my 86 Eluder setup. That'll give you some sorta reference.

We had a 81 Eluder that came factory with the 260 package. It burned to a crisp in a garage fire about 2 years ago. Awesome boat!!! Last motor we built for it was a 400. It would turn a 27" Mirage plus to 5200rpm, felt like you were flying over the water.

I’m torn between building up the horsepower 3.7 and changing the water pump from cam drive to belt drive or swapping in a small block. I honestly think it would be easier to put an aluminum head and better exhaust on the 3.7. I’ve seen where they put the 78 Corolla water pumps on to eliminate the cam seals. It already has an alternator swap.

Back