• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1977 Wellcraft

Will

I know a lady who has a 1977 Wellcraft Air-Slot 185 bow rider for sale. It has a 185 hp inboard chevy engine and seats 7 to 10 people. The floor was completely redone last summer as were the seats. It also comes with a 23 ft EZ loader trailer. She wants $600.00 for it all. I am looking for a bigger boat and I do have the $$$. Is Wellcraft a decent boat company as far as quality or are thay just another Checkmate wannabe? What trouble spots should I look for on this inboard? I have never owned an inboard and have only owned an outboard for a month now! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thumb.gif

I know a lady who has a 1977 Wellcraft Air-Slot 185 bow rider for sale. It has a 185 hp inboard chevy engine and seats 7 to 10 people. The floor was completely redone last summer as were the seats. It also comes with a 23 ft EZ loader trailer. She wants $600.00 for it all. I am looking for a bigger boat and I do have the $$$. Is Wellcraft a decent boat company as far as quality or are thay just another Checkmate wannabe? What trouble spots should I look for on this inboard? I have never owned an inboard and have only owned an outboard for a month now! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thumb.gif

With a boat that old, you're definitely going to want a pro to look at the transom. It's most likely soggy. My sister-in-law had a boat from that era with an I/O, and you could simply push on the transom with your hand and see it move in and out..........

1995 Pulsare 2100BR/1995 Mercury Promax 225 2.5 EFI/ 1.87:1 Torquemaster/ RapidJack Heavy-Duty manual 10.5" setback/ 23" Tempest worked for ski duty

A soggy transom is never good!
Eyecrazy.gif
I did push on the transom and knock on it with my fist pretty hard several times in several places. It felt and sounded pretty solid. (Kind of like a solid wood door.) I did that on the inside and outside of the transom. I really took my time and I think the transom is pretty solid. I appreciate your concern JW. Any thing else I should check before buying? Is Wellcraft a good company or a bad one?
icon_confused.gif

Wellcraft builds the Scarab...which I feel is a good craft........take a look at the ebay site for Wellcraft.........and see whats for sale and the prices.........$600 is not much to pay for anything thet floats plus it has a motor......see if she will let you water test it.......put it in the lake and she if she sinks or floats...and see if the motor will run OK.........

IT "IS NOT" a CHECKMATE but few if any boats are....good luck....and wear a life jacket.......

Thanks H2O, she has already told me that I can take it to the lake to test before I buy. It also comes with a 23 ft EZ loader trailer. It is in decent shape: I will have to replace a few of the boards( not sure what they are called but the "Boards" are covered by carpet and is what the boat sits on while on the trailer) Just a few boards on the tandem axel trailer. The floor was replaced last year as well as all new seats and carpet. I hope it works out as well as I am expecting.
icon_confused.gif

Brought the Wellcraft home today. Where should the fluid tank for the hydraulic trim be located and what type of oil should I use if it is low? The bottom of the center V has a long scrape where it hit the trailer when loading one day. Not very deep. How should I fix this? When I ran my hand down the hull, my hand looked almost as if I had ran it across a chalk board. What does this mean? The boat is solid white. Should I just wash the hull thorougly and then apply marine wax? I know it's not a Checkmate, but can you guys give me some of that great advice I know you can give?

Back