• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1988 SPECTRA 171

FOLLIS38

HI GUYS IM NEW TO THIS SITE. I HAVE A 1988 171 SPECTRA WITH A 150 BLACK MAX, I HAVE OWNED THIS FOR 8 YEARS NOW & RUN THE HELL OUT OF IT IN LK. ST CLAIR. MOTOR NEVER REBUILT,JUST TRIM UNIT REBUILT. THE MOST I GET OUT OF IT IS 55MPH BY GPS WITH A 22 IN PITCH RUNNING ABOUT 5800 RPM . WHAT IS THE BEST I CAN GET OUT OF IT AND HOW DO I SET IT UP FOR MORE SPEED? I ALMOST FLIPPED IT MANY TIMES TRIMED OUT. DO I EVEN WANT TO DO ANYTHING TO IT? IM ASKING YOU THE EXPERTS FOR EVERYTHING I SHOULD NOW ABOUT THIS BOAT. SO PLEASE DO YOUR MAGIC & LET ME KNOW. THANX A BUNCH

Welcome! Michigan rules the Checkmate forum
thumb.gif

I had a similar boat, just newer. For best top speed, you need a really strong transom and long enough steering cables. This boat needs the engine set back off the transom approx. 12"-14" with an adjustable jack plate. With the setback added, you want to set the propshaft about 2" below the pad to start. Use a 4' straight edge and a tape measure to set it. Then, get a new Mercury Laser II prop, and with the age of the engine I'm guessing a small hub 24" to start. Maybe a 26" small hub. Make sure your tach is accurate, and keep the rpms in the 5400 - 5800 range.
By setting the motor off the transom this far, you'll be able to get your bow up without using so much trim. Less chance of flipping, and the prop will be running in cleaner water. Also the gearcase will be able to run higher. Make sure you have a water temp and pressure gauge to monitor your engine vital signs.
Another thing you can do is a compression test/leakdown test. If the numbers are still OK, you can send the heads out to JSRE for shaving and boost the compression. It's pretty cheap horsepower. You will have to run premium gas though. That and an exhaust tuner from a 200 motor will gain top end. You'll probably need to re-jet the carbs though.
Make sure your dual-cable steering is tight. Tight steering helps with the chine-walking.

1995 Pulsare 2100BR/1995 Mercury Promax 225 2.5 EFI/ 1.87:1 Torquemaster/ RapidJack Heavy-Duty manual 10.5" setback/ 23" Tempest worked for ski duty

Back