• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2.0 1986 Black Max Final drive ratio?

capt911

I am out of town working and trying to figure out what my lower unit drive ratio is. I have a standard 1986 135 Black Max 20".

I have my serial number will that help me at all I know it tells me the year 0A980754. Trying figure out if it is 1.87 or 2.00 to 1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I don't think the serial number helps at all, every time I use mine to look up something, it just return that it's a v6 mercury between 135-200 HP.

You might want to try just doing it the manual method. Put the engine in forward, and spin the engine over with a socket on the flywheel bolt. Mark the prop so you can measure exactly one revolution. Now, see if it takes exactly 2 revolutions of the engine to rotate the prop one full revolution (if so, then it's a 2.0 gearcase.) If it takes just a little less, then it's a 1.87.

I don't think the serial number helps at all, every time I use mine to look up something, it just return that it's a v6 mercury between 135-200 HP.

You might want to try just doing it the manual method. Put the engine in forward, and spin the engine over with a socket on the flywheel bolt. Mark the prop so you can measure exactly one revolution. Now, see if it takes exactly 2 revolutions of the engine to rotate the prop one full revolution (if so, then it's a 2.0 gearcase.) If it takes just a little less, then it's a 1.87.

Sounds good I will pull my spark plugs when I get home and do that

Thanks

Back