• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2.5 xri keeps destroying flywheel.

Gofaster

95 xri carbed , 5800 26 3 blade chopper. 87 starflite fresh core ,stringers, floors,no foam at all , 12" setback

I keep breaking the 40 am cast wheel and it is time to get rid of weight, before top of crank comes off. I like the batteries charged . will a 16 amp keep up ? boat is a river boat , lights, radio electric fuel pump,

How is it 'breaking'? Stock wheel will be good to mid 6000's. I've regularly spun mine to the 6800's with never a complaint, although it is on a jet drive. If you're going to see North of 7000 I might consider an aluminum one. If I remember correctly, you can go with a 2.4 16 amp with it's corresponding stator, shorter screws and a little wiring to save some weight. My first thought was is the pinion vibrating up into partial engagement and wreaking havoc on the ring gear or are you exploding the flywheel with high rpms.

If we are talking about the 'teeth' on the outer circumference of the flywheel, look at possible starter operation when it shouldn't be, also sticking, and such. If it is the magnets coming loose underneath the flywheel, dont strike flywheel when removing it and check clearance on stator and top bearing.

Oh. Not sure what to make of that. If the splines on the end of the crankshaft are damaged in some way, I'm guessing that you are not going to have a good day.

Have you used a dial indicator on the splined shaft? Just a outside chance that it may not be straight (bent or out of round). If it is out there is the possibility it's creating a vibration causing a self destruct scenario.
You have nothing to lose by checking.

Back