• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2000 Persuader 218 br Rear Seat Storage

Diplomat82

Wondering if anyone has a good photo of how the storage is set up under the rear seat. My battery is just seating in there, not held down and no tray. Not sure which one of the three compartments it should actually be in.
Thanks anyone who can help.

I can't speak for the Persuaders, but in my Convincor, both my batteries are in the starboard opening. If your Persuader doesn't have trim tabs, then you might want to play with where it should go to keep the boat balanced. Or add a second battery and a big bad ass sound system and put one on each side!!!!

I would be less concerned with how it came from the factory and more concerned with what makes the best sense now.
As Corey pointed out, balance your boat, this probably means putting it on the opposite side of the helm. Maximize the use of space by tucking it out of the way as much as possible while still maintaining suitable access.

Looking at pictures of your boat. If there is room, I'd be tempted to put it under the hatch beside the motor on the port side. Save the back seat storage for other things.

Right now the battery is on the starboard side (helm) and nothing else in any other compartments.

I was just curious how it was set up because it looks like there was something mounted in the center section above the tank.

I like the thought of a nice sound system with a dedicated battery!

persuader storage

My 1994- 219 persuader has the original set-up which is under the fold forward rear seat...three compartments....the big one in the center is a plastic insert incased in styroform to make it a cooler....the smaller one on the starboard side is where the battery is mounted...the one on the port side was empty but I installed my second battery there which gives me an equal balance of weight

My 1994- 219 persuader has the original set-up which is under the fold forward rear seat...three compartments....the big one in the center is a plastic insert incased in styroform to make it a cooler....the smaller one on the starboard side is where the battery is mounted...the one on the port side was empty but I installed my second battery there which gives me an equal balance of weight

Thank you very much!
Does the center 'cooler' drain into the bilge?

On my 95 219, the batteries were moved back under the engine cover. One on each side. The small area on the port side under the rear seat is where the selector switch was located. Probably done when the floor/stringers were re-done. Lots of room in the engine bay for dual batteries.

On my 95 219, the batteries were moved back under the engine cover. One on each side. The small area on the port side under the rear seat is where the selector switch was located. Probably done when the floor/stringers were re-done. Lots of room in the engine bay for dual batteries.

Did you do the floor? If so any photos?

Did you do the floor? If so any photos?
Nope. The place I bought the boat from (Bay Outboard Marine - Saginaw) had it done along with the interior upholstery. They had acquired the boat with the intentions that it would be a 'shop boat'. Something the employees could take out, etc. It wasn't getting used very much, so they put it on the market last fall. I made a 'package deal' for it when I purchased my pontoon from them.

My two batteries take up most of the storage in my back seat as well. When I took my back seat cushion out I found this mess.
BS2.jpg
Since I wanted to paint the wood, rerun all of the "rats nest" of speaker wires, and clean up the chipping paint on the back, I removed the bottom to get at the batteries.
Bat1.jpg
As you can see, battery 2 is screwed to the floor and battery 1 is just sitting on the holder (not fitting).
I have cleaned, painted, and rewired the seat bottom
BS3.jpg
And now if I can, I will mount the batteries in 2 new battery boxes that I bought in the engine compartment and have nice under seat storage. I love the look of that white bilge paint, how easily does it clean up?

Thank you "sweetK" the photos were a big help. I think I will add another battery sometime in the future. Right now my battery is just sitting under the seat and not locked down. I'm going to add a battery tray and cutoff switch.

Don't think I would do anything different been through a lot of on the water time and I'm not easy on the boat in the rough stuff and there is no signs of defects in the work that I did. I probably went a little over kill but the boat is rock solid now.

Before you mount the battery you may want to think about doing what I did. not sure if you can see it but I mounted and glassed a 5/8 thick piece of plywood where the battery and oil tank where going to mount. That way when you screw them down the screws don't penetrate the floor and there is no chance of water getting to your new floor.

Don't think I would do anything different been through a lot of on the water time and I'm not easy on the boat in the rough stuff and there is no signs of defects in the work that I did. I probably went a little over kill but the boat is rock solid now.

Before you mount the battery you may want to think about doing what I did. not sure if you can see it but I mounted and glassed a 5/8 thick piece of plywood where the battery and oil tank where going to mount. That way when you screw them down the screws don't penetrate the floor and there is no chance of water getting to your new floor.

I may try to somehow mount the battery to the side of the back seat. That way I'm not going through the floor or ripping up the carpet. Just have to find the right tray or box.

Back