• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

200HP+ Motor Choices

xsvspeed

So many choices are available from Mercury. Does anyone know the main differences between the following...besides the obvious of course!

ProMax 300X
2.5 EFI Sport
2.5 EFI SS
2.5 EFI Offshore
Optimax 250XS
ProMax 225X
Optimax 200XS
250 Pro XB EFI
225 Optimax
225 EFI
200 Optimax
200 EFI
200 Classic

For instance; which is faster, which is more fuel efficient, which costs more, which is better for watersports, what are the options (ie foot), etc...

Thanks for the input...last night I learned never to buy a trailer with rollers!

I feel the need for speed!

So many choices are available from Mercury. Does anyone know the main differences between the following...besides the obvious of course!

ProMax 300X
2.5 EFI Sport
2.5 EFI SS
2.5 EFI Offshore
Optimax 250XS
ProMax 225X
Optimax 200XS
250 Pro XB EFI
225 Optimax
225 EFI
200 Optimax
200 EFI
200 Classic

For instance; which is faster, which is more fuel efficient, which costs more, which is better for watersports, what are the options (ie foot), etc...

Thanks for the input...last night I learned never to buy a trailer with rollers!

Rick, do you have a brochure that can be scanned? Speed, If you are intersted in a motor, the best thing to do is tell what you are looking for in a motor and what you want it to do. Then, we can give our recommendations on what to look for.

It will be near impossible to describe all the main differences for all of those. I just ordered the new 2003 Mercury Racing catalogue, and they are over at Scream and Fly... Anyways, I like the 250XS and the 300X, that would be my choice for the Pulsare...
icon_biggrin.gif

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
Checkmates may not be the fastest boats on the water, but they are the nicest looking!
icon_cool.gif

I am not looking for a motor. I am more into touring, watersports and the occasional high speed blast.

My choice would most likely be the 250XS if I was buying a new Pulsare. What I am curious about is what each motor does best, their HP, and cost.

I GO TO THE MERCURY SITE AND PRINT OUT ALL THE SPECS ON ALL THE MOTORS, THEN YOU CAN COMPARE EASY. PRICES ON THE MOTORS YOU LISTED START AT $9,000 FOR THE BOTTOM ONE AND $18,000 FOR THE TOP ONE
Eyecrazy.gif

YOU LISTED THEM IN ORDER OF POWER FROM TOP TO BOTTOM EXCEPT FOR 2 IN THE MIDDLE. THE 250 XB IS GONE. THE 2.5 EFI MOTORS ARE RACING, AND NEED REBUILD EVERY YEAR. THE REST ARE STOCK OR PROMAX AND DON'T NEED AS MUCH MAINTNENCE.

I am the one who knows all!

Those prices arn't actually too bad when you think about it. I think the best motor(s) there are the 225 ProMax and that 250XS. I like the reliability of the ProMax
thumb.gif

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
Checkmates may not be the fastest boats on the water, but they are the nicest looking!
icon_cool.gif

I suspected that the 2.5 might require additional maintenance and care...probably an expensive motor to run in the long run.

If I recall, the Optimax engines "atomize" the fuel before the burn. Hence better fuel economy...right? Am I right to assume the ProMax's optimum use would be at higher speeds?

All I have for comparison is my first 1988 XR4 150HP and my 1995 XRi EFI 2.5 Litre 200HP. My only advice to anyone stay away from carburators. My 150 was a good motor but also a pain. It ran great 1/3 to WOT but had poor idle and at low speeds (the engine overloaded with fuel). I soon figured out that trim was the way to avoid problems. My XRi 200 on the other hand is a pleasure to drive...at any speed.

I'd get anything with the EFI. I like the way its easier for us, but with problems it can cause, it makes me wonder. I'd still get it... Don't trust carbs too much...
eyes.gif

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

Back