• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

253 Convincor makeover

Budman

I purchased my Checkmate new in 1997. After hearing too many comments about the "pink boat" and trying to tell everyone it's RASBERRY, I decided to make some changes.
A local sign shop made the decal to cover up the "pink". I tried to keep the blue but the lines wouldn't match up between the colors so we covered up both colors.
I had the gauge bezels done in the same gray color.
Seat upholstery was done by someone local and even had the Checkmate horse embroidered into the back of the seats.
I installed a tv monitor in the cabin to watch videos or viewing pictures you just took. Games too.
I also added a flush mount LED bow light. As you can see we ordered the boat without sst bow rails and put in pop up cleats.
Entire project was less than $1800. Quite a change from the day I bought her.
009-Copy.jpg
Checkmatebuild001.jpg
Checkmatebuild003.jpg
004-3.jpg
0023.jpg
Checkmatebuild002.jpg
001-1.jpg
024-1.jpg
009.jpg
304.jpg
0012.jpg

005_zpse815d910.jpg
007_zps042b6982.jpg

Last edited:
boat looks great! i especially like the interior. did the upholsterer reuse the center section on the sun pad or was he able to duplicate it?

boat looks great! i especially like the interior. did the upholsterer reuse the center section on the sun pad or was he able to duplicate it?
They re-used the center section so I could keep the "Checkmate".
Other than the sun pad and logo on the bolsters, nobody out west knows what make the boat is. Always makes for good conversation.
Other than doing a color change, the interior was still in great shape.
For a boat that's 16 years old, I must give credit to Checkmate for building a great boat. :bigthumb:

I have the exact same boat, minus the blue. But, I don't care what people say about it, I dig the pink!!!! Plus, I think my new little baby girls will love it.

I wish the center section of your sun pad was still intact, I would have bought it off of ya. Mine got sun baked last year when some asshat service guy told me he was going to park my boat inside for me until he could get to it. But instead he let it set outside in 100 degree weather, under a black cover for 2 weeks. It hurt the pink in the center section of my sun pad and now it is cracking a little bit. Which really pisses me off, cause like yours, my interior was in really good shape!!

Did you save the pink gauge bezels? I'm going to be adding a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge later this year, and would love to make them match the rest!!! I mean, if you are gonna rock the pink, you better be fast!!

Last edited:
your boat looks awesome. a clean and simple change but it looks a ton better and takes years off the boat's looks!

Budman that boat came out great --- I actually did like the rasberry pinkish highlites ---- but this change makes a beautiful boat even nicer.

Really nice design change -- clean and classy :thumb:

It turned out very nice! I think you did the right thing getting rid of the pink I did the same thing this winter

I have the exact same boat, minus the blue. But, I don't care what people say about it, I dig the pink!!!! Plus, I think my new little baby girls will love it.

I wish the center section of your sun pad was still intact, I would have bought it off of ya. Mine got sun baked last year when some asshat service guy told me he was going to park my boat inside for me until he could get to it. But instead he let it set outside in 100 degree weather, under a black cover for 2 weeks. It hurt the pink in the center section of my sun pad and now it is cracking a little bit. Which really pisses me off, cause like yours, my interior was in really good shape!!

Did you save the pink gauge bezels? I'm going to be adding a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge later this year, and would love to make them match the rest!!! I mean, if you are gonna rock the pink, you better be fast!!
I might still have some pink vinyl. I also had to replace the pink part in the center pad due to cracking. Between the hot sun and having more traffic on it.
I stripped the powder coat off the bezels and re-used them.,

Budman that boat came out great --- I actually did like the rasberry pinkish highlites ---- but this change makes a beautiful boat even nicer.

Really nice design change -- clean and classy :thumb:
The outside gel didn't bother me as much. it held the deeper color better over the years. I could always remove the decal at some time and still have the original gel coat. I'm preserving it now.;)
The seats probably faded a lot more and did have a pink tone. The interior seemed dated and now has a more modern look.

Very nice work! Looks great! I eventually want to get rid of the "magenta" on mine. I am going do do paint instead of vinyl though probably next year.

your boat looks great. back in 1997 when i ordered my 253 i think it was called "rasberry" i too went for it on the smaller swoosh and some interior trim . the paint and color trims on boats are like time capsules the older formulas and bajas really had some interesting combos.

looks good

man i dig the pink also.all of my sons ktm racebikes i powder coated the frames,hubs,triple trees all pink.not hard to pick him out of the pack if he isnt out front.

Back