• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

3rd times a charm????

wizard8575

Well rebuild #2 went out Saturday on houghton lake. Everything was great until it blew. I had a good time taking it out from the launch I was catching up with a cigarette with twin I/o's until I had enough and took it to the dock. Batter was running low so I charged it up and while I waited I mixed a 5 gallon tank of premium with the oil 50:1 and added it to the tank. After the battery charged my Dad and I went out for some fun and about 30 minutes into I started getting everything set well I had about a 30ft rooster tail going turning heads everywhere I went.(sorry forgot camera on that run). I came across a Blue/Silver Starfire and we kept passing each-other on and off then I tuned to head back and that's when I noticed the motor slowed down some and I Backed down the throttle it went to a dead stop. I waited some time and tried cranking it did not turn at all. I pulled to cover and I could not even turn it by hand, it was stuck solid. About that time the other check pulled up and asked if I need any help I asked for a tow and he did. After getting pulled back we talked for some time found out he is on Saginaw river a lot and I told him to check out this site. He left I pulled the plugs cyl #3 melted. I called kary and told him the bad news, we talked about options not sure whats going on yet I am interested I going to a V6 150 but I am not liking these inlines by now. And I did not know my rpms at all since my charging circuit was out so was my tach. I did wach my water pressure on and off it was good.

Sorry to hear of the melt down. I was kicking around the idea of buying jzuleger21 checkmate. He has a 91 150 that was rebuilt 3 yrs ago. I'm not really interested in the 150. I was thinking of repowering with a 225. He's located just south of Madison, WI.

I've had a totally different experience with my inline- may I suggest Wayne Canino? Also, did you run at 25:1 for the first tank or so? Sounds like it was doing well right up until it blew.

I've had a totally different experience with my inline- may I suggest Wayne Canino? Also, did you run at 25:1 for the first tank or so? Sounds like it was doing well right up until it blew.
Trust me after blowing 2 times before I did not want to screw anything up so I made sure I mixed it right and the wife even supervised it lol!

Hey Wiz, Sorry to hear about that, Did you break it in properly? heavy oil mix and run at about 3600 for about 10 hours then retorque?
Sounds like you took it out a hammered it right off the bench. That could be a major blow factor.

so that would explain not seeing you out there. sorry for the bad luck man. i did see that other check out there wonder how i missed all this activity

Back