• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

A Checkmate Wannabe!

Tyannt

Hello All!!

Been lurking the posts for a few days waiting on activation; so much information I had to join. ;)

It's been a frustrating few weeks looking for my first Checkmate!
Towing capacity on my Honda CR-V is only 1500lbs so, until such
time as a more capable vehicle is in the driveway I am limited in boat
choices.

Just the wife and myself, just a few miles to 3 of the largest lakes/Ponds on the Cape, and the ocean just over a mile away. I like speed; not the wife's priority! Lol

Here we go!!!

You might be asking too much from a CRV

Big lakes = Big Boat and big tow vehicle.

A 21ft Pulsare is 1300lbs without the motor or trailer and not really suited for big water.

You need a 24 ft or more deep V and a truck to pull it

Hey karzrus!
Appreciate the advice ;)

I should have said "ponds" Lol but yes, on calmer days perhaps browsing
the bays and rivers here on the Cape.

If you are on regular lakes.( thought maybe you were talking about one or two of the great lakes for your boating) Then you could consider something in the 16-18ft range with outboard power. I still think with motor and trailer, it will be too heavy for a CRV, but something that can tow ~2500lbs would do it.

If you are on regular lakes.( thought maybe you were talking about one or two of the great lakes for your boating) Then you could consider something in the 16-18ft range with outboard power. I still think with motor and trailer, it will be too heavy for a CRV, but something that can tow ~2500lbs would do it.

A Predictor and outboard is going to be a bit over 1000 lbs not counting the trailer. Put some gas and gear in there and you'll be over that towing capacity in no time.

Ended up buying a 1983 Predictor. Stringers and floor redone and floor glassed over. Not sure if that's how they came originally, or bare wood under the carpet. Needs carpeted still. Transom redone as well.
Teleflex no-feedback steering, foot, as well as throttle lever operated trim. Guessing mid 80's Merc V6 175 Black Max, oil injection delete, with Bob's Lower water picked mod. Decent trailer...

Motor had just recently had new head gaskets, plugs and impeller done. Seen and hear the motor running. Big mistake though; didn't do a compression test myself. Crappy weather so i figured if the boat was doing 58, 68 claimed by the previous owner it should be alright.

Cold compression test at home with a crappy Harbor Freight kit read 90lbs in 5 cyls and 72 psi in last. Bumbed out but, lesson learned, never to happen again....... Still waiting to hear back from seller; his mechanic's explanation!

Back