• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Back from the dead...

:banana: very impressed with the last picture, do the knees go to the bottom of the hull or to the floor after it is replaced??? I'm getting excited now. Hey Hack, recognize the Big Ass horn???

Great to see another MX-14 resto! Transom looks great! What's it have for power? I've got a white/blue twin to that one, even down to the cut down transom. Just put the transom, stringer, floor, and knees in this past January.

6BBECBB4-F151-4462-8214-CCE9A93881E1_zpstxx1h7rb.jpg

30534754-A3D1-44DC-BB68-850D797A2DF0_zpsc5srnork.jpg

:thumb: Hey Starviper, just reread your whole post, yeah, after I brought it home from Instigator's shop I attacked the last two feet of the floor with my sawsall, soaked, cut two more feet, soaked, so now, the whole floor is out. The stringer??? in mine was a 1x2 that was glassed to the underside of the floor, not even glued to the bottom of the hull, liked the way you did the stringer in your boat and think I might do similar. Ay least it's warmer and the glass may cure. Also, there was a gentleman on ebay selling a 14 foot Carlson Contender with a short shaft 115 Merc with controls and I am waiting the great thaw to get it, also picked up a 135 parts motor for the powerhead that might replace the 115.

Sounds good, always loved the look of the inlines on the MX's! About 3 weeks ago I actually traded one of my long shaft 100hp mercs for a 1970 1350 long shaft with better compression. I've got a 1000/1250 BP 15" mid that it will drop right onto, so we might end up with very similar boats! But my plan is to run the 100hp first to get used to driving it.

I thought I remembered seeing a red MX-14 with white stripes somewhere before, so I looked through my MX folder and found this. Forget where I found this online but looks quite identical!

Red_White_Checkmate_MX_14_zpsnvk0u25u.jpg

:bigthumb: that dudes sweet, hope mine looks like that someday, there is a guy on utube with a red/white stripe mx-14 and a 1000 merc tearing up the lake, that could be his boat... hey Starviper, are you planning to go to the Checkmate Rally at Cumberland this year???

If I had all the glass and paint work finished by now I would say I could probably finish it in time, but I'm haven't hit that mark yet unfortunately. Would love to though!

The last think I'm looking for is another project (unless it's a Jetmate with a 460)... But one of those MX14's with 100 hp Merc would sure be fun on my chain of lakes...

Hack, there is that blue one with a 115 merc on Lansing craigslist list, that is not terribly far from you and looks ready to go, hell, we could have bunch of little boats at the rally :)

Hey Hack, I believe I got my Checkmate out of Howell, that's kinda close to you, nice looking boat, and Starviper, that red boat IS the same one as one utube, posted by a guy named jmevinrude, wouldn't mind talking to him

Hey Hack, I believe I got my Checkmate out of Howell, that's kinda close to you, nice looking boat...
Yeah, under 20 miles from my lake house. About 50 or so from my regular place. The old Glastron GT series just have that 'look'.

Back