• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Checkmate 1972 MX-15?

Hidditt

Just bought a 1972 15' MX-15? out of Fort Worth TX. It's in pretty rough shape - but what do you expect for a boat, motor and trailer for $200. It is red, Evinrude 60 (1981? twin). No seats and stripped to the bare fiberglass on the interior. I'll be looking for mounting information for the seats some day.

My Brother-in-Law did the negotiating. He will haul it to Bancroft, Ontario, Canada for me to have a restoration project.

Thanks for this site.

pulled that one right out of my back yard. fort worth is only an hour and a half away from me. good luck on the project. it seems the boat has already made a big trip.

The boat is in Eules, Tx and will be there until July.

:welcome: to the forum

One more resto to add to the mix:bigthumb:

As jumbofordman said, just host the image on a free sight, right click, copy the image and paste it into the text box.

W E L C O M E

You have come to the rite place to restore your vintage mate there's plenty of resto posts with pics here to help you along & these guys are the Best!

Finally getting started on the MX15 Restoration

The MX-15 made it to Ontario this July. I finally have it in my garage. I have to replace the transom, repaint it, find seats, and redo the floor.

I am currently removing the rub rails to get at the rivits so I can pull off the top. The old plywood transom looks more like mush than wood.

I am curious about how the back to back seats fasten to the floor. There is a 2" or so high glass rail on heach side of the floor that has something to do with the seats. The seats were not in the boat. Any ideas about seats for an MX-15.

The original gelcoat was red metalflake, and has been repainted with red and undercoat. Any ideas about getting back to original? Chemical removal, sanding, or heat gun?

Search MX restoration. There are many good threads here and vintage pics of old boats. I'm in the process of building an interior for my MX-16 now. Mine will not resemble the original. http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24702 Everything I have read is that once a boat is painted, getting it back to the original gel and having it look good is near impossible. Good luck , keep us posted.

That's kinda funny.You hauled yours to Bancroft and I got the same boat from Bancroft.Spent most of it's life there.I actually didn't have to haul it at all as the guy works with me and dropped it in my back yard.:banana:

I'ld say no to pressure treated lumber. It's too heavy and usually crappy yellow pine. I think what you want is to build a strong transom, then seal it up and keep it dry. I used AC 3/4" fir with exterior glue. I cut two pieces on the diagonal and epoxied them in A side to transom, C side to C side, and then covered the inside (A side) with glass and epoxy. You want the grains of the two pieces of plywood to form an X for best strength.
picture.php

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. :)

Let me know if you would like me to move your thread over to the restoration section.

-Chris

Hey, been restoring my 1972 mx15 here in Winnipeg. I just had my seats re-done, and putting them in this week. I tore apart 1 set of the back to back original seats, measured and cut out the new plywood & rebuilt 2 frames. I took the 2 new frames to the upholsterer here in Winnipeg that works in custom marine / bike / snowmobile upholstery. The seats mount on plywood extenders from the bottom of the boat, I believe they are 4.5 inches high in the front, and 5.25 inches in the back. I've got some pics of the original seats when I tore them out and the new ones if you want to see. Should have them back in the boat this weekend, and if you are still looking for the mount info I could take a photo and send along. I'm looking to get the windshield dimensions to have custom done - if you have them Lemme know. I'm running a Mercury 1500 ELPT inline 6 with a 24 pitch stainless prop - gidddeee up!

Hey, been restoring my 1972 mx15 here in Winnipeg. I just had my seats re-done, and putting them in this week. I tore apart 1 set of the back to back original seats, measured and cut out the new plywood & rebuilt 2 frames. I took the 2 new frames to the upholsterer here in Winnipeg that works in custom marine / bike / snowmobile upholstery. The seats mount on plywood extenders from the bottom of the boat, I believe they are 4.5 inches high in the front, and 5.25 inches in the back. I've got some pics of the original seats when I tore them out and the new ones if you want to see. Should have them back in the boat this weekend, and if you are still looking for the mount info I could take a photo and send along. I'm looking to get the windshield dimensions to have custom done - if you have them Lemme know. I'm running a Mercury 1500 ELPT inline 6 with a 24 pitch stainless prop - gidddeee up!

This appears to be your first post. :welcome: Why don't you start your own thread and keep us informed as you progress on your restoration. There are a bunch of us here that enjoy that type of entertainment, especially with pictures. :popcorn:

I have an original windshield and can get dimensions. Not quite sure how to describe the curved surfaces though. Photos and overall size? Any ideas from your supplier?

I would appreciate pictures of the seat mounting brackets.I willprobably pick up back to back seats from Bass Pro or the equivalent.

Your 150 will really push that little boat. I have a 70 Johnson triple for mine. I willneed to add a power trim to have fun.

I made my own back seat and had Checkmate do the upholstery. They also made two new front seats and the total price wasn't too bad.

Last edited:
Back