• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Chine Walk on '82 Predictor

82 Predictor

I have an '82 Predictor 16 with an '83 115hp merc that I bought over the summer. Had to do lots of work to the boat to get it running and I had about a month that I could use it before winter hit. Top speed by GPS was 57.3 MPH but it was wicked out of control and I would have to back off. Anything above 51 to 52 gps and it chine walks like crazy. There is no feedback that i can apply to keep the boat under control(for more than about 5 seconds) except to slow down. I am running a stainless 23p merc prop and the boat is bone stock as far as i'm aware. Curious if this is common with this boat. My steering setup is just a simple rack and pinion and appears to be old, worn and loose. Thought about putting a dual cable system on or hydraulic (bay star?). Do you think that would help. How about solid motor mounts (is this done)? I know I could squeeze a few more MPHs out of her if I could keep it under control and get it trimmed out (i'm just barely above positive trim). Any help would be greatly appreciated as spring is right around the corner!!! The board is great, glad to see so many people love checkmates, great source of info.

thank you,

vance

I have an '82 Predictor 16 with an '83 115hp merc that I bought over the summer. Had to do lots of work to the boat to get it running and I had about a month that I could use it before winter hit. Top speed by GPS was 57.3 MPH but it was wicked out of control and I would have to back off. Anything above 51 to 52 gps and it chine walks like crazy. There is no feedback that i can apply to keep the boat under control(for more than about 5 seconds) except to slow down. I am running a stainless 23p merc prop and the boat is bone stock as far as i'm aware. Curious if this is common with this boat. My steering setup is just a simple rack and pinion and appears to be old, worn and loose. Thought about putting a dual cable system on or hydraulic (bay star?). Do you think that would help. How about solid motor mounts (is this done)? I know I could squeeze a few more MPHs out of her if I could keep it under control and get it trimmed out (i'm just barely above positive trim). Any help would be greatly appreciated as spring is right around the corner!!! The board is great, glad to see so many people love checkmates, great source of info.

thank you,

vance

Eyecrazy.gif
The loose steering is probobly you're bigest problem.Replace that and then test it out.If you still get some chine walk solid mounts do help alot.I would take care of the steering first and go from there.A jack plate will help you get more speed out of it.And it will mater for cable length if you want to put one on.So now would be the perfect time to do it. New steering and jack plate so you have the right cable length.Also you could try to adjust you're current set up and take the play out.
icon_biggrin.gif
Just my 2 cents

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Logo.jpg

CHECKMATE'S AND MOPAR'S GOTA LOVE EM
77 trimate merc150xr6
84 ambasador v8 i/o project

Bdusted is right on the money. Loose steering will make all kinds of bad things happin. Go with a teleflex no feed back duel cable system. Simple to install. Get cables that are a bit longer than needed. Then you will not have trouble later installing a jackplate. The hard part about installing the duel cable will be where it attaches to the motor. You will have to have a 2nd cable attachment point. Soilid mounts do help a great deal but only after the easy stuff is taken care of.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Logo.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop, Currently the boat is undergoing overhaul.

Thanks for the kind words about the board!

Glad you're enjoying it.
icon_smile.gif

I'm with the crew, you have to upgrade that steering no matter what. If you're gonna run at 60, you need to upgrade to dual cable to stay safe.

Once you get that done, you can see where you're at.
thumb.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Logo.jpg

Webmaster
Checkmate-Boats.com-The Fanatics Home!

thanks for all the great info guys. i think i am going to go with the nfb dual cable set up from teleflex and get it a little long so i can add a jackplate next year (got a lot of work to do this year on it, new vinyl, new cover, new carpet, new gauges, new hoses etc.) and a limited amount of money. just wanted to make sure this wasn't a normal condition of this hull and that i would be wasting money upgrading this stuff (I would expect a little chine walk but this is crazy). 175checkmate, do i need a special adapter for the dual cable system and will it all fit in the splashwell? Thanks again for all your help, can't wait until it warms up just a little bit so I can haul it out of storage and start working. Think spring!

vance

Cable route is no problem, but mounting the 2nd cable to the engine is. If you look at your current setup. You will see where the cable runs through a bracket/tube, then to your tiller arm that attaches to the engine. The 2nd cable runs infront of that cable and needs to have an attachment point. On the newer motors this is not a problem as there are mounting hole's for the bracket need for the 2nd cable. Older engine may not have this. I had to call rick @ http://www.rickracers.com/
Took some time but we found something that would work on mine, I have not ordered it yet, but I will when I start rigging the boat.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Logo.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop, Currently the boat is undergoing overhaul.

Thanks for all the great info guys. Illmattic i did the same as you and put mine away before taking any pictures. I think my sister has some shots from their boat of us but i haven't seen them yet. Will post if i get some.

Hey anouther person from Rochester, Welcome abourd. If you need any help getting your boat set up, give me a shout, I'd be glad to help.

F150GT

thanks F150 I appreciate that I'll let you know if i need help when the time comes. can't wait until it warms up a little so i can start the work. I'm actually down in victor but i figured no one would know where that was. where do you usually go? the month that we had to use the boat we stayed in the finger lakes and went to the 1000 islands a bunch of times.

Hey I'm in Fairport, I spent a lot of time working in Victor. We run down to the bay alot and at Honeyoye lake. My dad has an island up on the river, Great boating on the 1000 Islands.

F150GT

Hey, I wento to school in Brockport, all those towns ring a bell! I'm now in Long Island. If my steering freezes , does that mean I need new cables?

You were just on the other side of Rochester.
When you say your cables freeze, do you mean freeze solid in the cold weather or get stuck in the summer? If they freeze in the winter, they have water in them and are not probably long for this world anyway, If they stick in the summer they are dry and still as good as gone. Time for new cables, get them a little long so you can add set back in the futer.
F150GT

Back