• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Cover Dilema

Sam I am

Okay folks, here's the dilemma: cockpit and bow cover with snaps or not? I'm leading towards not. I have my old cover that they are going to see if they can put snaps in the cover and also in the bottom side of the rub-rail to use as a mooring cover. I'm also getting a good factory cover with ratchet straps like my Ranger has for towing purposes. I don't think I want to to do the adhesive snaps either. I never liked my snaps in the gel on my old boats...and I can't bear the thought of putting a screw in the new gel.

Anybody got any clever ideas (besides permanently parking it in my living room)?

While I understand the desire to not put snaps into fresh gelcoat I can't imagine not having a well fitting cockpit and bow cover and I have not seen or heard of any way to do it without snaps. I like using the windshield frame style clip on snaps for that part of the cockpit but you still need the ones in the gel for the rear part of it and the bow cover has no choice but to be in the gel.
If you are getting new covers made make sure you use either "Topgun" or "Seaspan/Cspan" material. They are so much better than anything else on the market for only a little extra cost on a small boat.

Sunbrella and all the canvas type fabrics are poor alternatives in my book. Not really waterproof, too stretchy, and not durable or colorfast in comparison.

So, here's what I came up with. I'm going to have two covers essentially. My mooring cover is going to be made out of the canvas cover that I got with the boat. There will have snaps on the underside of the rub rail and the mooring cover will secure to the rub rail. So...still snaps, but not in my new gel.

Dean sent me pics...it's pretty much done. Interior is complete. Just waiting on the jackplate and getting rigged at the dealer. Guys...the difference is jaw dropping...just f'ing awesome! Old school meets new school. The pulsare speaker pods/cup holders are killer. Checkmate even got the old oblong button machine to work for me!

Sam

Just a thought, and I may do this on my 270 BR, although it already has snaps, I would like to be able to cover the entire top surface without handling the big heavy full cover. So my though was to make basically a 2 piece full cover with the front piece covering the entire nose(front) of the boat back the base of the windshield utilizing the snaps under the rub rail, and snaps clipped into the bottom of the windshield. The second piece would cover the cockpit again snapping under the rub rail and also at the base of the windshield. The snaps at the base of the windshield can either be a double snap with the front cover or use the stud type of snaps, or put snaps at the top of the windshield for the back cover which would expose the windshield.

Anyway, I will not do anything until the season is over, if it works out I will post some pics.
Cannot wait to see the finished product!
Chuck

Back