• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Engine Hatch Repair

keystone35

1996 283 Convincor
When getting ready for winter storage i noticed one of the hinges for the engine hatch was loose. I tried tightening the screws that go into the hatch with no success. I am assuming the wood is rotted underneath the pad and needs to be replaced. The vinyl that covers it is still in great shape. I am looking for any advice on taking it apart. It appears as though it is bolted to the fiberglass bottom or frame with a number of Allen bolts. If i remove those bolts and then the screws securing the hinges will the top pad come off from the base? There is also a trim piece that goes around the outside that looks like it can be peeled off. How is this held on?

If anyone has any advice or especially pictures it would be very helpful.

Thanks

The vinyl and foam for the sun pad are stapled to a piece of plywood. The trim piece is also stapled to the plywood which is bolted on to the fiberglass engine hatch cover. There’s T nuts in the plywood for the bolts going through the hatch cover. It you can remove all of the bolts from underneath hatch cover the sun pad will come off. Sorry but don’t have any pics. If you replace the plywood I’d recommend using stainless T nuts and stainless steel staples.

Back