• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Evinrude Crossflow Starting Help

Vandalizer

I have a ____hp crossflow V4, and the two times I've had it out, I haven't yet mastered cold starting. Once the engine is warm she starts right up, but cold starting is a real bitch.
Any suggestions on which combination of choke, throttle, cranking, process, etc I should try?
So far I've alternated between using the choke and not using the choke while cranking, and applying 1/4 ish throttle after I begin cranking.

Also probably important to note that I don't have a primer bulb, but do have a fuel pump inline.

I have a ____hp crossflow V4, and the two times I've had it out, I haven't yet mastered cold starting. Once the engine is warm she starts right up, but cold starting is a real bitch.
Any suggestions on which combination of choke, throttle, cranking, process, etc I should try?
So far I've alternated between using the choke and not using the choke while cranking, and applying 1/4 ish throttle after I begin cranking.

Also probably important to note that I don't have a primer bulb, but do have a fuel pump inline.

I would get a primer bulb. Put it inline a few inches from engine so it is on a slight incline with engine all the way in (makes it easier on the bulb to pull fuel up to engine)

Prime it until bulb is hard, push in choke and crank. A little trial and error is in order. If you find it doesn't fire off, add throttle. My guess is give it some throttle while pushing in choke

Good luck

Tilt it down

I've owned 2 different 150 crossflows and the same holds true for the 1987 200 I currently own, these motors do not like to start cold when tilted up. Make sure you are down as low as possible, but for sure into the low/slow speed portion of the trim. The ones I have owned all had an enrichener circuit, not a choke. My process: Tilt down, pump ball, turn on key and push in 2-3 times to activate the enrichener solenoid or choke as you call it, crank over and goose the throttle while cranking. Usually start right up for me that way.

I was wondering if the choke was really an enricher. (I have Mercury outboards, but they can be finicky to start cold, too.) So if you aren't priming the fuel bowls before you press in the button, it's effectively doing nothing. The enricher dumps some extra gas into the engine so it can start, but the fuel bowls have to be full.

You mention an inline fuel pump, I assume it's electrical. If so, you need to run it until the fuel bowls are full before you try starting the engine. Then press the choke/enricher button in for a few seconds, then start the motor. If mine doesn't at least fire off for a second the first couple of tries, I give it about 1/2 throttle.

Thanks all. I can't remember where the trim was... Certainly with the mid section into the water but probably not completely tilted in, I'll try that.
Mine is a '78, is there an easy way to spot enrichener vs choke without taking the carb shield off?
Also I probably didn't give the fuel pump long enough prior to cranking, but man she smokes fiercely when it did finally fire up.

enrichener etc

On the v6 OMCs that I've owned there is a solenoid on the engine near the carbs that has a little red half turn valve on it, that is the enrichener solenoid. What it does when you push the key in is it puts fuel into all of the small fuel lines that go to the carbs. I would recommend making sure it works. You probably would have to pull the air box off and then pull one or two of those small lines that go to the carbs. Prime up with your fuel pump and then push the key in to activate the enrichener. Key needs to be in on/run position for enrichener to work.....You should see a shot of fuel coming out that small line. These engines all smoke a lot at start up in my experience. Some of that has to do with oil, I always ran amsoil HP, and now Yamalube, they seem to smoke a little less. In my experience running cheap oil like vavoline 2 stroke or some of the cheap mineral oils make them smoke much worse. Yamalube is a semi-synthetic, reasonably priced, plus I get a deal from my former employer so that's what I use now.

I have been running a crossflow V6 for the past 5 years and struggled with cold starts as well. I pump the primer bulb till it's hard, then hold down the choke at the key for 10- 12 seconds before cranking. Lift the high idle lever up a little, then crank away. Once it fires, I bump the choke until the revs drop a little if it starts to die. I have also noticed that engine trim angle does make a difference as well. I love my crossflow, they are bulletproof old motors. They also sound pretty mean with a relieved exhaust.

I need to put some damn fuel in the boat and see if I can identify enrichener vs choke. From the responses it sounds like they may not have even had a choke (butterfly flap), which would certainly change the approach - choke is push and hold while cranking, enrichener is push multiple times before cranking.

The high idle lever - this works by interacting with the throttle cable, correct? (Not timing or something?) That's what I assumed, and ignored it so far as I have a hot foot.

throttle

You definitely want to use the fast idle/throttle on these to start them, trust me. I used to take my 87 baja with a 150 Evinrude xp out 5-6 days a week when I was in my early 20s and became a master at starting it. These things will not start without some throttle or an excessive amount of cranking will be needed. Part of the reason is that the throttle linkage is attached to a "timer base" which starts to advance the timing when you bring the throttle up off of idle. Having a "link and sync" done would be beneficial as well.

I'm pretty sure the high idle lever does not engage the timer base. I'll have to go out and check to make sure. It definitely took me a while to figure out how to consistently start it.

Also, I'm thinking when we push in the "choke" on the key, it technically is an enrichener like you have mentioned. It engages the solenoid on the starboard side of the motor with the red lever, it is squirting fuel through the little tiny fuel lines up to the little nipple right on top in between the the throats of each carb. I think this is right...:cheers:

Different topic, but since a few of you guys with Rudes have already replied... what is the best gear lube to use with these?

for the last few years i've used cheapo Supertech 80W-90 from Walmart. Seems to work fine. Also, I got a screaming deal on a bunch of Pennzoil Premium Plus 2-stroke oil a few years ago, and that is working great in the ol' crossflow too.

As it turns out, the fuel tank vent was not open. The fuel pump was sucking the tank in as it consumed fuel, and I just assumed it didn't have a vent... thankfully my dad pointed out the vent on the top of the filler cap. Next time out it started MUUUUUUCH faster, and seems to idle better as well. Oops.

As it turns out, the fuel tank vent was not open. The fuel pump was sucking the tank in as it consumed fuel, and I just assumed it didn't have a vent... thankfully my dad pointed out the vent on the top of the filler cap. Next time out it started MUUUUUUCH faster, and seems to idle better as well. Oops.

If it makes you feel any better my father and I drove my first car (Honda CRX) for a year and a half before we realized it was a 5 speed :rof:

Why it had a 4 speed knob on it is beyond me, but I really really wish I had video of my face when I thought I killed the car trying to bang 3rd and found 5th that I never knew was there... rpm's down, car not moving... OH MY GOD MY CAR...... wait is this another gear?

Back